Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch Extraction Tooling ?

Hi all,

Back in the spring I reported here on the forum that I was experiencing difficulty with my M20 clutch (gear change problems and a dragging clutch)

I was kindly advised by fellow forum members, and M20 owners whom I have met on this years show circuit, to remove a set of clutch plates to remedy the problem.😉

To that end, I have since purchased a BSA M20 clutch exstraction puller tool.

Can any one kindly advise me the correct way to use this tool ?

This morning my Uncle and I spent several hours attempting to remove a set of clutch plates but failed. We have a BSA service book which loosely explains the the procedure. And we also tried to 'YouTube' it, but to no joy.

We simply can't get the exstraction puller tool to exstract anything 🤔.....

1. After draining the oil from the chain case, we remove the chain cover, then the top hat, then the clutch cover to reveal the clutch plates....... We then remove the 'Sleeve Nut' as directed by the service book and insert the special clutch extractor tool (tightened up almost fully home bar 3-4 threads)

2. We then tighten the little screw on the exstraction tool puller until it goes tight ( then we tap it with a single blow of the hammer) as directed by the tooling instruction card. We then turn the puller tool another quater turn before hitting it again with the hammer and so on.

Nothing seems to happen apart from the clutch cable becoming heavily loaded and the fear that the cable may snap from its nipple up at the lever end 😬 The plates don't seem to get any looser and nothing seems to happen ?

The clutch cable becomes so tight that we give up turning and hitting the exstraction puller.

Please could anyone advise us on what we may be doing wrong ? Or what we should expect to happen when using such a tool?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Kind regards

Mark

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Clutch Extraction Tooling ?

You need to loosen the clutch cable and remove it from the operating lever. Then the push rod will be able to move that direction when you start and apply pressure to the extractor centre bolt. My guess is that all you are doing is compressing the push rod against the lever and the cable, with the extractor bolt not having had the chance to contact the main shaft end.

And you do not need to remove the clutch center to remove & replace the plates.
Once the spring s off, and you have regained consiousness after being knocked out by the flying sleeve nut simply pull the pressure plate ( the one with the studs welded to it ) out and the plates can then be withdrawn for which I like to use a magnet)

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Lol,😂

Thanks gents, much appreciated 👍🏻. We shall remove the plates with caution......🙈

Mean time ... If anyone else has any more sound hints and tips please feel free to post. (We've never removed plates on an M20 before)

"Intelligence gives strength to the Arm" 💪🏻

Kind regards,

Mark

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

Also have a look at the Technical Section of the website; there is a wealth of information available there

You will need the clutch spring compressor to put it all back together...Contact me off forum reference that one...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

If all of the plates fit into the clutch why remove some? I thought plates were usually left out because some pattern ones were too thick, buy a complete from Ian if he has any left, I did and it sorted my clutch problems.
I find it easier to remove the clutch from the shaft to work on it, I have personally found that the spring compressor has very little 'feel' when doing the nut back up. With the clutch off the bike I put it on the floor supported by some wood and just stand on the nut and turn my self round on top of it. I am slightly larger than nature had originally intended so this dose help.

The standard spring compressor tool isn't really fit for purpose...There is another design that makes fitting the spring in situ easy..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1