Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wassell 27mm concentric for M21?

The original carb for my '58 M21 basket case looks beyond salvage.

I've reviewed some old posts on here and it seems that the 600mm Amal Concentric is a good alternative.

Mike Boulton sells a 27mm Wassell made Amal copy that looks like it will do the job nicely. Has anyone got experience of these and, will I need a LH or RH one as I want to fit a longish bellmouth?

Cheers

Gary.

email (option): gj.owen@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Wassell 27mm concentric for M21?

I have no personal experience with the Wassell carb, but I have seen them and can only say that they are well made so it should do the job. You will need a RH carb.

Regards
Søren

email (option): sapa@privat.dk

Here's one of the blighters fitted currently to my 51 Triumph TRW...
 photo DSC00650.jpg

I've used Wassell concentrics on a number of bikes and have found them to be entirely reliable and serviceable to date...

They should be available at a lower price than the 'AMAL' manufactured concentrics (which are themselves replicas, being manufactured by a different unrelated company that owns the AMAL name and marketing rights)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I run a 626 ( pinched from my WD B40 ) on my WM20 and would not change it for anything been very reliable for the past 15 years.

A few things to consider.
1) you will have to use a modern twist grip or make your own cables ( I did the latter ) as concentric cables come with a larger barrel size.
2) ditch the O ring in favour of thick Klingerit type gasket so you can clamp the carb down without warping the flange.
3) consider a bent cable guide at the carb end as it sits taller and it is hard to get a nice smooth cable entry angle ( bought the cable years ago, still have not fitted it now cant find it )
4) you will need 1.75" of extra manifold to clear the magneto which will only leave you 2" before you foul on the oil tank.

So you might like to pop into an auto jumble and pick up a tatty 600 to play with before opening the wallet too wide for the real thing.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I had a similar problem when replacing the TRWs Solex carb with the Concentric...The bottom of the float bowl interfered with the BTH mag fitted as standard to the early TRW...

In the previous photo the proximity of the carb to the mag can be seen along with the carb adapter I machined up to provide a little clearance...

The M21 was fitted with the carb spacer later on but these (cast) items aren't that easy to find these days, though they do turn up occasionally..

You will need longer carb mounting studs as well.. Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1