Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flying Flea Spacer ?

Ok here we go .I've at last got around to re assembling the Flea , found a Workshop manual that covers both WD and Civi .

Assembling the front wheel using the manual I ended up with the spacer No9 on the spares diagram spare . On the diagram picture and on Hitchcocks it shows the spacer , but in the workshop manual it doesn't .

All the other parts I have are as diagram and fitted accordingly , so a bit puzzled as to where this goes .

Also the 2 washers are spare too , maybe someone who rebuilt it added these for some reason ? , I have the shim fitted behind the brake drum .

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Re: Flying Flea Spacer ?

Dave I'm fairly sure that that is the distance piece inside the brake drum between the brake plate #23 in your last picture. Your first illustration is from a post war parts list.

Wartime front brake is 4". Post war brake is bigger (5" I think)

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

PS. You will notice a completely different part number for the wartime front hub over those listed by Hitchcocks. Ron

photo scan-160819-0003_zpsz2q4gfec.jpg

Apart from the post-war increase in brake-drum size, the purpose of the spacer was to take up the slack/space of the speedo drive box omitted from wartime versions...............

On early machines, including civilianised ex-WD bikes, the speedo drive was of the external type with the speedo drive gear-ring bolted onto the spokes..........later versions used an enclosed drive similar to the BSA M20 and G3L...........

Pre-war civvy and WD machines were fitted with a combination of cup and cone and ball journal bearings........frame no's 1001 to 3100 had cup and cone bearings fitted, 3101 to 4140 ball journal bearings, 4141 to 8170 cup and cone bearings and then from 8171 upward journal bearings were specified as standard..................

The issue here depends on from what era the wheel dates from........although all essentially the same, the hub fittings and/or spacer arrangement may vary depending on whether early with/without external speedo drive or later with the enclosed type drive fitted...........

Thanks once again Ron/Steve

I've measured the drum it's 4" , I fitted a spacer inside the drum(no23) , the spacer and two washers were left in the container after I fitted all the parts as per manual so curious to why these parts are spare , should there be a washer under the locking nut of the brake plate , I didn't fit it because it doesn't show one in the manual.

Thanks

Dave

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Dave I built mine as per the manual with no washer under the brake plate nut. The manual shows a rebate in the distance piece #23 which would be there to go through the central hole in the brake plate to align it properly.

Just studying the parts list V the manual. The spacer is clearly shown in the parts list #9. which must go on the nearside of the hub under the dust cover #10 (the felt washer sits round it).

The manual shows a stepped nut here whereas the parts list shows a standard nut #8.

Incidentally, I notice that the dust cover #10 is omitted from the post war lists as it must have been replaced by the speedo drive. (M20 type).

You'll get there! Ron

Ron Pier
Dave I built mine as per the manual with no washer under the brake plate nut. The manual shows a rebate in the distance piece #23 which would be there to go through the central hole in the brake plate to align it properly.

Just studying the parts list V the manual. The spacer is clearly shown in the parts list #9. which must go on the nearside of the hub under the dust cover #10 (the felt washer sits round it).

The manual shows a stepped nut here whereas the parts list shows a standard nut #8.

Incidentally, I notice that the dust cover #10 is omitted from the post war lists as it must have been replaced by the speedo drive. (M20 type).

You'll get there! Ron

Thanks Ron

I think I'll take the dust cover and nut off and have a play around with the spacer, didn't think it would need it with the retaining nut No20 having a spacer that goes through the centre of the dust cover .

I got the workshop manual to sort out the rubber band/suspension setup ,looks like its going to be well used , money well spent.

Dave

Yes Dave but I think this is where the parts list differs from what's shown in the manual. Nut #20 in the manual has a rebate. But it's a standard nut #8 in the parts list. Ron

Hi dave,
same question about this spacer when i rebuilt mine
the part list number 8 nut is the retaining for the brake plate ( number24 on workshop manual) the dust cap nut number 20 on workshop manual is the number 14 on part list lot of brain storming!!!
the first manual picture is good for contract S6602 and S7112, for the S1945 it show the first assembly with free balls bearing.
about the distance piece, i make a new one, but no need also!! don't know why?? the wheel fit perfectly aligned a the fork....without the distance piece.
and for the "extras" washers i'm not afraid about, mine have also under the brake plate , on the brake plate, and under all the nuts!!! all washer from a different tickness and diameter.... just because their is wrong bearing reference mounted on ( they are too tick).
and yes Ron part list are very strange!!! it say also tank badge and fixing screw "not serviced" i never see a Flea without this badge!!!
and for the rubber band, chalk them before mounting, very easy to fit, just take care of your paint!!!

email (option): leger-arnaud@wanadoo.fr

Well done for clearing that up Arnaud. Ron

Arnaud
Hi dave,
same question about this spacer when i rebuilt mine
the part list number 8 nut is the retaining for the brake plate ( number24 on workshop manual) the dust cap nut number 20 on workshop manual is the number 14 on part list lot of brain storming!!!
the first manual picture is good for contract S6602 and S7112, for the S1945 it show the first assembly with free balls bearing.
about the distance piece, i make a new one, but no need also!! don't know why?? the wheel fit perfectly aligned a the fork....without the distance piece.
and for the "extras" washers i'm not afraid about, mine have also under the brake plate , on the brake plate, and under all the nuts!!! all washer from a different tickness and diameter.... just because their is wrong bearing reference mounted on ( they are too tick).
and yes Ron part list are very strange!!! it say also tank badge and fixing screw "not serviced" i never see a Flea without this badge!!!
and for the rubber band, chalk them before mounting, very easy to fit, just take care of your paint!!!

Hi Arnaud

Thanks for clearing this up , I was confused as to why I had these parts left over . I followed the workshop manual and reassembled the wheel as per drawings etc , looks like these "extra" bits and pieces have at some point been added for no apparent reason .
It's looking like I might have a small box of "extras" left over after I've finished rebuilding it .

Thanks again appreciate the info

Dave

Ron Pier
Yes Dave but I think this is where the parts list differs from what's shown in the manual. Nut #20 in the manual has a rebate. But it's a standard nut #8 in the parts list. Ron

It had me confused with not being conversant with the Flea , having the spacer and 2 washers left over didn't help either. I've just ordered some more nut, bolts and washers from Hitchcocks as per manual so hopefully all will be correct .

Just a note , I bought some of the small rubber sleeves for the front forks #11 in the manual (Crown suspension spindle rubber sleeve) they are past their sell buy date, I'll have to get some rubber pipe of the same diameter and cut it to size

Thanks Ron

Dave

A quick update on the spacer etc , reassembled the front wheel fit it into the fork legs , all fitted ok without the spacer

Thanks

Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1