Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My War Home Guard Book

I bought this book recently because of the picture on the cover, I had hoped there would be a better quality print inside but alas not. The book appears to be aimed at a young audience and is very basic.

But there is a credit inside

Cover: Imperial War Museum (men on motorbike), group photograph from personal collection of Charles Dibbons.

Has anyone seen this picture before or is anyone planning a trip to the IWM photo archive?

Rob

photo home guard_zpsyawvuiyd.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: My War Home Guard Book

Hi Rob,

I am quite sure it is a 1931 model with the instrumentpanel on top of the handlebars. This panel was unique for this year, in 1932 the panel went into to tank.

And looking at the mudguard and frontfacing magneto drive, it looks like the V-twin World Tour.

photo 1931_g12_zpsmtwaumhl.jpg

thanks to Leon for the picture!, Cheers, Michiel

Rob, I thought that I had been through most of the albums that could have included Home Front motorcycle photos (Jan has been there more recently though). I don't recall this image at all.

The problem is that the index cards are not very descriptive and this may not be amongst the sets relating to the Army. I don't think that I would have searched the cards for 'sidecar' either.

Always a shame if an IWM photo is used but no reference given.

Rik
Rob, I thought that I had been through most of the albums that could have included Home Front motorcycle photos (Jan has been there more recently though). I don't recall this image at all.

I have indeed gone through many of the books that they keep in the reading room, plus several books that had to be brought in from the archives (for picture references that I had found in the on-line database). But I can't remember having seen this particular photograph... Sorry Rob...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Michiel I hadn't heard of that strange panel, does anyone have a better picture of it?

I have tried a search on the IWM website and there doesn't seem to be any Charles Dibbons collection mentioned so perhaps there is a mistake in the credit?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob, Here is the topview:

photo SAM_6300_zpsoxxys6l8.jpg

It holds the switch, ammeter, steeringdamperknob, speedo and 8 day clock if required. and even includes the air and ignition levers..... must be very rare now

Nieuwe pagina 1