Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fork yoke alignment

I recently realized my top and bottom fork yokes are not parallel. I should have noticed it much earlier, but it didn't become obvious until I had completed restoration of my fork links. So now I've got a great set of links and bushes that are perfectly within spec, but they didn't slide into the yokes well at all. Upon inspection, when looking down from the top of the steering head, it's clear the top and bottom yokes are not aligned.

Before I disassemble the head, my question is - what actually keeps the yokes in alignment? Is it likely that one of the cast yokes is actually bent? Or is the head yoke clip the only thing keeping the head yoke in place? Or, is there an internal mechanism that locks them into alignment? I couldn't tell from the maintenance sheets and parts diagrams, so any advice would be appreciated... before I start taking things apart, again.

Thanks!

Craig

Re: Fork yoke alignment

Craig your bottom yoke is part of the steering stem. The top yoke (handlebar clamp) turns independently on the steering stem and the only thing that lines them up is the fork links. If you slacken off the pinch bolt and bearing adjustment nut on top of your steering stem you will find you can probably swivel the top yoke round and round.

I assume from what you've said that you haven't re-bushed your yokes during your fork overhaul? While you have your forks out, it's worth dropping the steering stem out to inspect the bearings or at least grease them.

When you get them all back together, I can advice the best method to adjust everything if you want me to. Ron

photo scan-160815-0001_zpssgdslsnn.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hello Ron,

I too would be interested to know more, if you felt like sharing your insights.

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Excellent. Thanks Ron, that's the answer I was hoping for! I'll slacken the upper yoke bolts a bit and hopefully everything will line up well. And yes, if you have advice on adjustment, please share. My hope is that with refurbished pins and new bushes everything will slide together perfectly. We'll see though.

And FYI, I did re-bush the yokes as part of the link overhaul, but I just never bothered to slacken the steering head at all. I (stupidly) assumed it was fine as-it was. Which, in hindsight, was an obvious mistake because one of my link's pin spacings were well out of spec before the refurb! I fabricated a new link and pins, got all the pin center spacings and bush clearances set, checked the fork for straightness, but only now realize the top yoke was positioned for the old, out of spec pins. Can't wait to see if the pinch/collar bolt sorts this out.

Thanks again.

Craig

OK this is how I adjust my steering stem and links. First make sure the link bolts are not tight and lower the bike to the ground and press down on the handlebar to make sure it all moves and that the fork spring is clear of the headstock.

Now tighten all the link bolts so that the forks are trapped in a non moving situation. Then jack the bike up and you should find that the spring which normally rubs against the headstock is well clear.

Now by rocking the forks from the wheel spindle area, any movement will be at the steering stem bearings. Undo the pinch bolt and adjust the steering stem top nut so that there is the very slightest discernible movement when rocking the forks and check that the forks turn side to side freely with no balking or tight spots. Then nip up the pinch bolt and lower the bike to the ground again and slacken off the spindle bolts.

Finally adjust the spindle bolts one at a time and tighten the lock nut so that the links still move freely when you bounce the front. Be aware that when you think you have a spindle bolt at the right degree of tightness, the lock nut can alter things and make them too tight again, so back the bolt off a bit and try again.....It's trial and error till you have everything with the minimum amount of free play and not too tight.

Ron

PS. The way I assemble girder forks (in a nutshell) is to put the bottom links in first, then fit the top of the spring into the handlebar clip, then fit the top links.

Works for me!

Ron

This is all exceptionally helpful, Ron. Thank you! I'll get to work on my forks today.

All best wishes, Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1