Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal Enfield Flying Flea War Time Crank & Conrod

Hi All.

Has anyone got a photo of the correct crank and conrod setup as found in the War time Royal Enfield flying flea?

I have a machine shop "adjusting" a set of post war cranks but it would be great to see how the real thing looks and fits together.

Thank you in advance.

email (option): findingsteveo@hotmail.com

Re: Royal Enfield Flying Flea War Time Crank & Conrod

The few pre-War Flea's (the civvy "Royal Baby") and then the wartime produced WD/RE's had big-end rollers 1/4" diameter by 21/64ths long..........the post-war civvy versions had the roller length increased to 1/2".................

So, the pre-war and wartime crankshaft assembly were slimmer than the post-war type, and as such, the individual components are NOT interchangeable although the complete crank assemblies ARE...........so you can put post-war crank assemblies in earlier cases and vice-versa.........:-)

As for the crankcases themselves, the wartime were cast with sparcer internal "webs", particularly on the drive side, therefore were marginally lighter in weight........post-war, the crank-cases were "beefed up" with reinforced castings...............cases however, ARE interchangeable..............

Incredibly, I have the RE factory blueprints dated 1943 that show the modified (post war) crankcase and big-end assembly but not adopted, it seems, until 1945 when post-war production commenced..........

Re: Royal Enfield Flying Flea War Time Crank & Conrod

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply!

I have managed to locate the correct, narrower, war time Conrod, bearings ands gudgeon pin but the correct crank halves still allude me.

It's my hope that the machine ship can adjust them to accept the correct Conrod and bearings.

If you have a photo of the war time set up I would be very grateful as it will give the shop just a little more guidance.

All the best

email (option): findingsteveo@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1