Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gear lever - cast or forged?

Is the gear lever cast or forged? Mine is bent in so that it hits the exhaust pipe when trying to change up. Obviously it has had a knock at sometime in the past and so I am guessing it has enough 'workability' to be able to bend it back out. I will feel more confident if it is a forging as I'm told this will accept being worked. A casting being more likely to break? I have a basic gas blowlamp for applying some heat.

(Moving the lever up on the splines isn't an option as I cant get my foot to bend higher due to an old ankle injury)

Rog

Re: gear lever - cast or forged?

Rog I've straightened many a foot peg and some gear levers. You can actually bend them cold in the same way that they got bent out of shape in the first place. But getting them red hot is the easiest and best......They are usually steel forgings or castings...Not cast iron. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron, much appreciated. I accept about them getting bent in the first place, but I've no experience in such matters and wondered if the 'bend back' might prove too much and it might break. However - heading for the blow lamp :-)

AFAIK all BSA gear levers, brake levers & foot pegs were forged as BSA had their own extensive forge shop.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1