Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do these pannier frames belong to?

Just pulled these off my new purchase 1940 G3. Did they come off a postwar military bike or are they just an aftermarket accessory? If anyone wants them, let me know!

Re: What do these pannier frames belong to?

They're made from Perforated Steel Planking aren't they ? Build your own runway !

Are they modern parts for converting Indian Enfields into genuine WW2 battle bikes ?

Have we seen photos of the G3/WO by the way ?

My G3WO was the newly restored one languishing on the Northants Classic Bike Centre (AMOC) website that I rubbished......at least at the optimistic price asked at the time. I am pulling off and replacing quite a lot of ancillary stuff that is wrong, but fairly easily and cheaply replaced to date. I will post a pic when it is fit to see! I also have quite a lot of nylon cable ties that I snipped off.......but these could be repaired, so let me know!

They look like the carriers for a field wireless or similar, maybe vehicle mounted or carried in some kind of harness.....

I could be wrong but the style looks more Vietnam or later than WW2.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

I have a very similar pair but mine are without the large holes. They are post war civilian use made by Midland.

photo Midland pannier rack transfer_zpss4z2os0e.png

photo Midland pannier rack_zpsaxgnkd4k.jpg

Hi Ferg, did you sell the G3L?

Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

No, I still have the G3L........to go with the panel tank G3.......father and son? Keith.....yes, I think they must be postwar civvy ones and they do seem to look a bit like yours.

Guy posted a photo of almost identical frames on HMVF asking if they were WDB40 (they weren't). I don't know if he ever found out what they were from.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?53727-BSA-WDB40-Panniers

Yes, those ones look exactly the same as mine apart from the holes. The mystery remains, except I am sure they are firmly post-war.

Keith, your pannier frames seem to be the same as thise fitted to this AFS Matchless. I also found a website thread duscussing Midland frames fitted to AFS bikes. I think that is as close as I will get.

Aah yes that@s probably where they came from. Will not feel to guilty about using them now.
Maybe someone had a pair and decided to "lighten" them a bit with those holes?

Nieuwe pagina 1