Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
m20 Mainshaft Bearing Oil Retaining Washer

Hi everyone....Just a few gearbox questions:

1. Should the mainshaft bearing oil retaining washer that fits between the large mainshaft bearing and the gearbox shell rotate with the sleeve gear or remain fixed? When I was assembling this today this washer is a tight fix on the gear and rotates with the gear. I was just concerned that this would possibly wear the aluminium casing.

2. If fitting a sealed mainshaft bearing, with one seal removed, does the raised portion of the oil seal washer not rub against the remaining seal and cause a difference in clearance that would not normally be there?

3. Oil flinger wsher. Does this fit between the aluminium casing and the small mainshaft ball beaaring? I've taken 2 gearboxes apart today neither have any other washers on the mainshaft (at the kickstart end)apart from this one washer behind the small mainshaft bearing and the thick spacing washer that would but up to this? - mind you one gearbox had 2 of these thick washers .

Many Thanks

Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Re: m20 Mainshaft Bearing Oil Retaining Washer

about point 3, Glenn.
First there is the small bearing, then the flinger plate and behind that 1 thick washer.
That's it
See Matty's reaction on the other post.

Make sure the gear on the main shaft in the box doesnt touch the inner cover.
Thats what the thick ring is for.

Thanks Michel!

Glenn

Anyone about questions 1 and 2 ...?

Hi Glenn,

1)
I think that you are confusing the two oil retaining washers. There is one on the sleeve gear and one between the bearing and the shell, but to answer your question they will both rotate because when the gearbox sprocket is fitted the washer is sandwiched between the sprocket and bearing. There is enough clearance between the bearing and the shell to allow it to rotate.

2)
No, there is room.

Hi Matty,

thanks for the response. I'm more confident to hear that both oil retaining washers on the sleeve gear will rotate. I was afraid that the washer next to the casing would wear on the aluminium and damage the casing. The washers aren't in great shape so I've ordered some new ones, just to be sure.

Glenn

Nieuwe pagina 1