Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MATCHLESS G3 EARLY MODEL.

Early type G3 with despatch rider,a good view of the rear end.  photo DSC_0525-2_zpsaa3af380.jpg

Re: MATCHLESS G3 EARLY MODEL.

Steve, nice photo. All the photos I've seen of early panel tank G3WO's have had a rear numberplate fitted, however,the one on this bike has been removed. As the rider is wearing the later issued DR kit I would think the photo must date from at least 1941. I will be interested to hear what others with better knowledge have to say. Cheers JT

I'm glad you said that John. I also wondered about that rear lamp. I guess it might still have retained the civy type 3 position switch although not a major feat to fit the WD 4 position switch in the panel. Ron

PS still looking for the correct tail lamp

photo G3 081_zpsjjulwljd.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi John .trying to get the bits together for my g3 have got a parts list but no illustrations to match them with. Anyone got any pictures .cheers

email (option): Bwales55@gmail

It's a bugger! But I've never seen an illustrated parts list for a WD G3.

Ron

Bob, I am afraid that between 1935 and 1941 for some unknown reason the factory stopped illustrating their parts lists. It can make things quite difficult for someone restoring one of these bikes for the first time. However, a copy of the WD maintenance manual for the G3L can be very helpful for some items. I am sure that Ron and I are both very happy to help out with advise and photos of parts if you need them. Cheers John

Thanks for that ,John. Would a 1936 g8 panel tank fit a g3 as there is one on eBay .if not I am going to convert a g3l tank .which Ron has kindly give me the measurements for .cheers

Ah Bob I thought you had a non panel G3 tank to convert. I think a G3L tank is a totally different size/shape. Will have to take a look in the shed later and compare them. Ron

As Ron says, the panel tank and the G3L tank are a different shape, and the 1936 tank is quite different.
Have you got a link to the ebay one?
If its the Indian made one it might pass muster as they look more like 38-40 tanks than 1936

Cheers lads for having a look at the different types of tank .Ken if you go on eBay and Putin matchless panel tank .cheers

All I have found are Indian repros, probably fine as a last resort.

Last genuine panel tank I saw on ebay went for around 700quid, I paid 200 for a ratty genuine one needing repair.

When searching remember AJS tanks same era are not the same, filler cap on left for one thing.

OK Ken thanks for looking .if you wait long enough something always turns up

Nieuwe pagina 1