Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 Gearbox Mainshaft Thrust Washer

Hi Everyone,

How many washers should be on the mainshaft of an M20 gearbox, just before the mainshaft bearing at the kickstart end?

Many Thanks,

Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Re: WM20 Gearbox Mainshaft Thrust Washer

G'day Glen,

There is an oil retaining washer between the bearing and the inner cover, a distance washer and an oil flinger washer on the main shaft. Some times if needed a shim is needed between the distance washer and the flinger to take up end float on the shaft.
End float should be .005" on all shafts.

It's best to fit the mainshaft by itself into the case, fit the inner cover (with the gasket) and then measure the end float.

Next remove the shaft and fit the required shims to achieve the end float figure quoted by Matty....Reassemble and check...

If you fit the entire cluster it is more difficult to accurately determine the end float of each shaft...

Also check that the splines on the mainshaft, at the sleeve gear end [4th. gear], are not badly worn or burred as a result of previous incorrect assembly...

If they are badly worn the mainshaft will have the correct end float after shimming but it will be in the wrong position within the gearbox...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for that tip Ian.

Hi Matty and Ian,

thanks for the advice, I'll take a closer look this weekend. Would you be able to recommend a supplier for the shims? Any particular part number to help me identify for all shaft shims?

Glenn

66-3071 are 5 thou shims for the mainshaft. Try Russells, Draganfly no longer do these.
For the layshaft you need to fit any shims under the bush in the gearbox main case. I couldn't fnd a supplier so cut some from shim stock.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

A question; is the oil flinger plate behind the small bearing really necessary ?
I dont have one and the end float is good.

Also I cant find one on the exploded view om Draganflys list.

Hi Michel,

Draganfly number 119, retaining washer.

It's odd that without this washer you have correct end float, are there any issues changing gears when running?

Hi Matty,

Would this be number 91on draganfly - 24-4235 - Inner cover ball race oil flinger washer?

Hi Glenn,

Yes, 91 is the oil flinger, is't slightly dished.

photo 20150321_090717.jpg

Thanks Matty - hard to beat seeing the actual thing, I'll order one from Russells.

Glenn

So I've received my new oil retaining washer and oil flinger washer from Rusells. Questions:

1. Should the "raised" inner portion of the oil retaining washer that fits behind the bearing (kickstart side) be placed so it faces the inner race of the ballbearing?

2. The oil flinger also has a raised portion. Does the raised inner portion of the oil flinger washer fit against the gear or turned around and fit against the packing washer?

Thanks for all your help so far!!

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

1. Should the "raised" inner portion of the oil retaining washer that fits behind the bearing (kickstart side) be placed so it faces the inner race of the ballbearing?

Yes.

Does the raised inner portion of the oil flinger washer fit against the gear or turned around and fit against the packing washer?

Against the gear.

Thanks Matty!

Glenn

Nieuwe pagina 1