Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help buying from Russell Motors

Hey all, I wanted to buy some parts through Russell Motors.

http://www.russellmotors.co.uk/

I'm in the USA. I've tried calling the number but when I do it says I can't make contact with this person, not a matter of having money in my phone account but that the "subscriber I have dialed is not in service."

Does Russell Motors ship to the USA? Anyone in the U.K. able to help me get in contact with them to do my order? I'm not sure how to proceed.

email (option): paulscutler@gmail.com

Re: Help buying from Russell Motors

Hi ya. I am in Ireland and have just spoken to them though I didnt know of them before your post! The very Cockey fella told me that the bloke who used to do the catalogues died last year but they still have loads of spares. Seemed to know what he was on about...
Did you use the right numer? 00442072281714

email (option): Admin@attymass.ie

I was dialing exactly: 0114402072281714 From USA

I'll try some variation tomorrow, hmm.

Thanks Stephen

Assimimg dialing is the same, leave off the 011 bit, just 0044....
If you call now expect you will catch them before they "knock off for the day" and go home to watch Eastenders on the telly😄
Please let me know how it goes as looks lots of goodies for me too!
Best

Assuming👍 Never get used to this phone...

The guy at Russell's is old Les Myers. He's well in his 70's and does know his old bike stuff, but nothing about computers.

His UK number is 02072281714, but as Stephen has already indicated you replace the first 0 with the international dialling code for UK 0044.

Roughly speaking, the best time to try and ring Les are Tue- Thur 10am -3pm GMT.

I've been dealing with him (and deceased brother Geoff) for at least 25 years now. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thats interesting Ron. They seem to have loads of bits. Should that be BST, summer time?

Yes probably BST but I was refering to UK time for overseas callers. Ron

Hi Paul

As Ron highlighted - Les is not so in line with e mail, preferring fax, letter or email

I buy from there almost exclusively - we are lucky to still have access to such a stock of parts

He will send to USA without problem

Best regards

John

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

"They seem to have loads of bits."

I've been buying from Russells since 1967, loads of bits is an understatement.

Les is 100% Ok , just don't expect USA style hustle, patience is the key.

Just send a fax of parts required is by far the easiest, if you give Les earache on the phone, you'll get nothing.

Russells is one of the rare cases that I'll say, they really are doing us all a favour.

A good half of my G3L came as NOS from there.

I've tried faxing today, not going to bother him by phone then.

All 20 of my fax attempts failed, I tried every combination of numbers I could.

From the USA what exact fax number would I use? Or is it that his fax machine is just turned off on weekends?

Hi Paul,

Its most likely something you've tried, but have you added the exit code to the phone number for dialling the UK from the USA? I think you add 011 before the 44.

Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Les's FAX number in UK is 0207-924-4273 For overseas I think you replace the first 0 with 0044. Les doesn't work on Mondays and often has Friday off too. Ron

As a last resort perhaps someone here in UK could forward your list to Russells?

or even that tired and trusty method of an airmail letter? seems to me that considering the time you have spent already it would have been here by now?

or read this
http://www.howtofax.net/send-fax-uk/

If all else fails, blame it on Brexit

I think I have successfully sent a fax today! Got no return error message so I assume it went through...

Thanks again guys, for your help.

How did you get on?

He didn't mention "mattress" did he?

Okay, can give an update with confidence now!

I got my order yesterday! Looks like everything I wanted, a mixture of some brand new parts, and older parts in good shape.

I spoke to Les twice on the phone, he called me to settle some minor issues with the order two times. Les was extremely pleasant to talk with on the phone, I didn't get the reputation of his intimidating personality at all. We only spoke very briefly however.

Thrilled with how it went, and would go back if/when I'll need any more bits.

Les is only intimidating to lily livered wooftas who are scared of their shadows, and who should never be allowed near any motorcycle.Ever.

I've never had a moments problem with Les either over the phone or in the shop. It was younger brother Geoff who I found rude and offensive, until he left the shop and went out on his own as a jumbler, which transformed him into quite a nice guy to deal with.

Unfortunately Geoff has recently died and of course we've lost his ebay shop and jumble stall which always had lots of WD stock from Russell's storage barns. Ron

Geoff's website is still up.
Does anyone know if it is still in service?

Nieuwe pagina 1