Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flying Flea Oils

I searched the forum but couldn't find info on the oils before asking this probably worn out topic :).

I'm not sure what to use, modern oils or old spec oils for the mix and gearbox , just wondering if anyone could advise the best route to take .

Thanks

Dave

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Re: Flying Flea Oils

Anyone recommend make of 2 stroke oil to use ?, I was thinking of using Castrol A747

Hi Dave,

I have three Bantams and I use Stihl two stroke oil and they run a lot smoother, one little puff on start up and no smoking at all during running. Brilliant stuff.

All the best

Ross

PS I use the manufacturers recommend amount ( the measuring tot in the filler cap )

Cheers Ross , would never have thought of Stihl oil

bloody hell Castrol A747 was recommended for my old TZ750 - not exactly required for anything less ...?

Don't bother with synthetic oils, and don't run lean (100:1 and 50:1) petrol:oil mix.

Otherwise any mineral 2T oil - do they still make Shell 2T and such like?

For what its worth i race (Bultaco/KDX200/PE250/etc all air cooled)on Plutoline MX5 @ 32:1 for the last 7 years none of the engines are in the first flush of youth and have been flogged to near death - never had any problems.

lol , I used R30 early days on my old A3 KX250 then progressed onto the "fancy" A747 as time went on ,into the 80's upto 2002 I ran MX 7 and also ran my lads "crosser"! on MX7 . The lad now uses MX9 .

I'm only conversant with the modern oils on later machinery through trying and using it till we got the best performance , never ran a bike on less than 32:1 even though alot still run at 40:1 and 50:1 , that myth of lean running goes back to the early 80's when the "new" Bel-ray oil came in from the states and it was used by the likes of Brad Lackey and co :)

We used MX7 when the lad was sponsered by KTM uk and ran it at 32:1 even though we were told to run at 40:1 .

I think the measure in the petrol cap works out at 24:1 , just a bit rich so I'll run at 32:1.

I think Shell 2T is still available .

Stick with mineral oil, I've tried synthetics in mine and it seems to nip up a lot more on them than on the mineral oils. They never do any damage when they do. The flea is really only a back road bike and if you go on an A road you feel like everything is pushing you along so you feel compelled to go as fast as you can, it won't do this for long without nipping up!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Dave Plumb
Stick with mineral oil, I've tried synthetics in mine and it seems to nip up a lot more on them than on the mineral oils. They never do any damage when they do. The flea is really only a back road bike and if you go on an A road you feel like everything is pushing you along so you feel compelled to go as fast as you can, it won't do this for long without nipping up!

Thanks Dave , noted on the "B Road" suggestion :) what ratio would you advise 24:1 or 32:1 ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181092681751?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Shell Advance SX 2T would this oil suffice ? , could also use it on the Welbike

Thanks

Dave

I'd stick to the standard ratio as it was meant to be an oil rich mixture to help the bronze bushes form an effective oil seal. The motor has bushes instead of seals. You can fit sealed bearings if you want to experiment with the ratios, but I find the modern mineral oils are pretty ash free and don't smoke too much.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Dave Plumb
I'd stick to the standard ratio as it was meant to be an oil rich mixture to help the bronze bushes form an effective oil seal. The motor has bushes instead of seals. You can fit sealed bearings if you want to experiment with the ratios, but I find the modern mineral oils are pretty ash free and don't smoke too much.

Thanks Dave , I'll use the fuel cap measure and the Shell Mineral oil

Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1