Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One leg longer than the other!

I mounted the refurbished telescopic legs on the fork trees yesterday but one leg is longer than the other! (see pic)

Both legs have new stanchions and springs (of equal length) and all bushes and seals were replaced with new items. It was some time ago that I assembled these but everything went smoothly.

When mounted on the bike, both legs bottom out firmly when pulled down and the length of the nearside one (measured from the top of the fork tree to the centre of the spindle hole) is 768mm and the offside one measures 755mm - a difference of 13mm.

The only difference between the two legs is the fork legs themselves which have to be in order to take the spindle.

Am I worrying about nothing, or have I made a schoolboy error somewhere? The bike is a '58 M21 and shares the same forks as many others such as the A10 etc.

Gary.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

email (option): gj.owen@hotmail.co.uk

Re: One leg longer than the other!

You have either one short and one long top bush in the forks (Have done this my self) or you have a stanchion from something like a C15 which is shorter.

You have a very rare model that was exported as a special order for the Nepalese police so that they could more easily ride round the side of mountains!

I had the same problem some time ago, I think you will find that your o/side leg has not gone into the top yoke correctly, loosen off the yokes, screw your tool for pulling the stantions up and just try and get them lined up with the top yoke, so it pulls all the way in.

TTJ

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Well, I took the legs out again, got them on the bench, and it seems one of the bushes was tight in the legs and it freed up with some determined pushing and pulling

Got them back in the trees and both have identical range of travel and operate smoothly.

Not sure what happened there, but thankfully all ok now.

Thanks for your help guys!

Gary.

email (option): gj.owen@hotmail.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1