Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6th June 2016

I couldn't let this day pass without doing something and as I didn't make it to Normandy this year I took my M20 for a run around the lanes near where I live in lovely Devonshire, its a bit hazy but this is a local high spot overlooking Silverton.

Rob

photo Image091_zpscfxnhxth.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: 6th June 2016

Sat behind my desk with a phone stuck in my ear for most of the afternoon, I would rather have been doing that. Lovely photo, nice to get out !
Darren,
Sunny Wigan

email (option): d.wrudd At. Lineone dot net

Normandy 1944  photo DSC_0513_zps489aef48.jpg9t

Rob great minds think alike, I did the exact same thing today.. Only had a small job to finish off this morning then the rest of the day was mine. Had a 60 mile run around the back roads here in Norfolk just going with the flow and where the roads if you can call them that take me.Have to make the best of days like this after all the cold/ wet rides lately.....Dave

Thanks!

We acted also in style by recovering one of the early M20's from Berlin.

photo SAM_6160_zpsmnf6azlw.jpg

it is WM20.16247, probably BEF??,

Michiel / NL

Hi Rob,
That's Christ Cross just up the hill from my place - a lovely spot. I take my warhorse up there sometimes. Next time head down the hill past the brewery into Silverton, turn left, left and left again and pop into mine for a cuppa!
I was at Saunton for the Devon D Day event which was very well planned and a great day out. Only 2 BSAs so we could do with you next time!
See you soon
K

Hi Kimble
I forgot you lived in Silverton, I still associate you with Crediton because I remember seeing your fathers DUKW driving through there when I was a kid.

I did attend Saunton for a few hours on Saturday with my father, but just long enough to watch the 6 WW2 planes landing on the beach and the mock beach assault, sorry I missed you.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Michiel W
Thanks!

Michiel / NL

Michiel, it's certainly possible. I calculate 16247 to be C4142680 from C5610. The latest BSA that I have in a BEF photograph is C4144239 (17806) which would have been delivered to Chilwell at the end of April 1940.

The photograph is certainly south of the Somme so it could well have arrived with 2nd BEF. There were also new machines arriving as replacements and they would have been stocked at Le Mans or Laval I believe.

Ultimately, I think that your first-rate knowledge of the early components will be what tells you whether this seems to have seen British Army service after June 1940. There was of course a substantial British Army presence in Berlin during the post-war years and an early 1940 frame number together with a deLuxe rear mudguard are not in themselves enough to be certain...both components were being used in post-war rebuilds.

6th June 2016 @ 06:00hrs Aromanches, France.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13422455_10209442931411720_4194238185523172252_o.jpg

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Michiel W
Thanks!

Michiel / NL

There does also appear to be some German modifications to the bike. The saddle looks German and the rear carrier and tool box looks Royal Enfield to me. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1