Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Third Gear selection difficult.

Good evening all,

I'm having difficulty selecting third gear whilst riding. I can get into third gear but with a short sharp firm downwards kick with my boot. The grear box makes a loud clonk when I do this (which makes me wince) .. And sometimes the gear finds another neutral ?

I am not going to ride my M20 any more until I can fix this issue. I have adjusted the Clutch Arm and 1st to 2nd is nice and smooth .... 3rd to 4th is also smooth ... It's just trying to select 3rd gear that is an issue.

With my M20 sat on her rear stand and engine running .... I can go up and down the gear box lovely with no problems ... It's whilst I'm out on the road that 3rd is a pain.

I've only acheaved 5-6 miles on my new M20 so still getting used to her😀

Any help and guidance will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Third Gear selection difficult.

When you get used to it you will get use to it

Seriously if it changes happily on the stand and crunches badly when changing the clutch is probably dragging.
There is a definate way to change gears on these boxes and it is all about speed & revolutions.
For newbies the dvice is to put some weight on the change lever , give the throttle a small twist then let the revs die down.
When the box is ready to change they will just drop into place.
After a while you will be able to do this sans clutch.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Hi Mark,
i think Trevor has a point here.
My gearbox works about the same as yours, and i am riding it for years now.
Sometimes its a matter of getting used to and learn to "get the feeling" of how to change gears without to much noise.
Its better to check your clutch once more than to dismantle the box.

By the way, some people on this website advise engine oil in the gearbox.
Its thinner.
Never tried it myself.

Thanks gentleman,

I will give your sound advice a try this afternoon ..... thanks for getting back to me.😀👍🏻

Kind regards,

Mark

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

There is a lot of space between 2nd & 3rd such that it is easy to get stuck there in a false neutral,'We have all done it before.
If you do not have the C clip on the gear change toothed plate , it can shift when you put the outer cover on and the timing of the box controlled by that short rod on the paul plate very ocassionaly needs adjustments.
But put a few hundred miles up on it first as the operator migh need more adjusting than the gearbox.
It is very slow compared to modern boxes.
Also check that the gear lever is tight on the shaft.
Ian ( I think ) did a nice thread on adjusting the gearchange so hopefully he will pop a link back to it for you.
Other than that go to the Cornwall event lokk & listen to other M20's and perhaps get another owner to swap with you for a second opinion.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Best remedy is to get a 16H!!!

Nieuwe pagina 1