Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless V twin

It looks like John Tinley is building a very patriotic Bobber. I'll let him explain himself. Ron

photo photo.JPG 67_zpsihncudhj.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Matchless V twin

Apparently it's destined to be a 30's style Brooklands inspired sprinter...

I'm looking forward to more photos as the project progresses...

I suspect the word Bobber doesn't come into it and the paint job is temporary...though I'm sure John will tell all shortly...

I know I wouldn't mind it in my workshop and I'm suitably envious.. ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks to Ron for posting the photo. The bike is is a bit of a mistake as it started with a set of Model X crankcases that I bought on ebay some time ago. Fortunately for me when the crankcases turned up in the post I found that I had mistakenly bought OHV crankcases rather than SV ones. Faced with this I thought that I would build a OHV engine and the original idea was to build a copy of the Sunbeam WD sidecar outfit. However, a careful look at the Sunbeam determined that it was not an easy bike to replicate as the frame is special as it has a twin top tube to go either side of the rocker boxes. The other consideration was that I already have a Big 4 outfit as well as a WD Model X outfit and they take up a lot of room.

Having dismissed the Sunbeam outfit I decided to put the engine into a Matchless Model X frame and build a special sprint bike. For some reason AMC only ever put the sidevalve engine in one of there own bikes and never made a bike with the OHV engine. I have always assumed that they must have done a deal with George Brough when they agreed to sell him the engine that they would not build a bike in direct competition with the SS100.

The engine has a special flywheel assembly made by Cameron Engineering in Malvern as well as Timpkin roller mains and special conrods. I also have special forged pistons and a high lift camshaft. The heads are motorcycle type and not ones from a Morgan and they are machined from solid billet by a very clever engineer that I know. I am hoping that it will be quick enough to be an exciting sprint bike. Could it be quick enough to be the Worlds Fastest Matchless? Well, I have no idea as I have not been able to find out what the record stands at at the moment. A visit to Bonneville is a bit of a dream !!

So, the intention is not to build a "Bobber" but a motorcycle in the style of a Brooklands 1930's racer.

As you will see the design is a long way from being fixed so I would welcome everyone's thoughts on design ideas.

Cheers, JT

photo ajs-v-twin-1000cc-supercharged-bike-1930s-c-mortimer-5249-p.jpg

1000cc AJS v twin...Supercharged but we can ignore that...Brooklands cans very much in evidence..Nice stylish petrol tank...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1