Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 Post Office Combination

I have made a bit of progress with my 1942 Post Office WM20.

This is what the batch of 50 looked like in 1942 when they were delivered to the GPO through the Ministry of Supply, mine has sidecar lugs on the frame so I assume the entire batch of 50 all did. The frame numbers are quite early for 1942 WM20 13104 - WM20 13153 so I suspect this batch were begun in 1940 but put into store until the Army had made up its losses after Dunkirk? The one shown here has some early features such as an 8inch headlamp and some later features like the unribbed rear mudguard.

This is WM20 13113 GLO 967

photo GLO967_zps72d01f1b.jpg

photo GLO9672_zps4e03cae7.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: WM20 Post Office Combination

Is that a 1940 spec (MT1130) numberplate with an MT110 fitted?

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi Jan, yes it is.

Until recently I had thought this batch of combinations had reconditioned pre war BSA bodies fitted, but I have now been shown a Post Office Engineering Department drawing from 5/1/42 which seems to prove that they made this batch of bodies themselves in the same style as the pre war BSA.

The drawing has a full set of measurements and includes details of the locker in the floor of the sidecar which had two compartments for a spare inner tube and a battery, what I don't know is if this battery replaced the one on the bike or was there for another purpose.

Here is the work in progress.

photo sidecar5_zpsszuy4was.jpg

photo sidecar4_zpsc8u8tlb4.jpg

photo sidecar3_zpslq682xmj.jpg

photo sidecar2_zpsmkg4imjm.jpg

photo sidecar1_zps4hmyoa45.jpg

Nice job Rob...Every time I see one of these 'trade' outfits I want one...

Sadly there is no more storage space in my workshops (in fact it's already 'tight')...and I can't afford to move to another property... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Wow, I'm impressed, that's one beautiful machine....nice craftmanship!

email (option): maartenengels@hotmail.com

Gorgeous ! Well done, Rob....and what a joy to be able to work from proper drawings.

Beautiful job Rob! Nice dovetail joints on the locker. Have been thinking about that alternative battery location: could it be that access to the original battery becomes difficult due to the sidecar?

Jan

That's a possibility, there may have been lights in the sidecar body for sorting out parcels which could have used more power than the dynamo could keep up with, so this was either for a second battery/accumulator or a larger capacity battery which wouldn't fit on the bike?

Rob

Just a thought... Would a typical small car battery fit in that locker?

Jan

I suspect car batteries came in several shapes and sizes as they do now, but would a standard M01 Dynamo be able to keep it charged?

Rob

Have googled a bit and have found this website that advertises batteries for (early postwar) British cars:
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/british.html
The width and hight seem to be "standardised" at 6 3/4 x 9 inch. Would this fit the locker in your sidecar Rob?

Jan

what a beautifully made sidecar. lovely to see the way the wood has been used. You can keep your ferraris and the rest. Such a lovely thing - and still a lot more practical on the road!!! thanks for the photos, peter
just had my bike running and a bit of cleaning!!

I think Rob is wasted making gates and fences with this standard of carpentry. Any pictures of the Swallow side-car you made Rob? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Jan
Have googled a bit and have found this website that advertises batteries for (early postwar) British cars:
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/british.html
The width and hight seem to be "standardised" at 6 3/4 x 9 inch. Would this fit the locker in your sidecar Rob?

Jan

Hi Jan

The dimensions for the battery box included some maximum sizes and several "to suit battery" the rest of the body was a lot more precise.

So I maximised the battery box to the dimensions allowed and guessed the width of the tube compartment to fit an old tube, the battery space I have ended up with measures 9 3/4" x 5 1/2" x 6 1/4 deep, I could have made the tube compartment narrower but there still isn't enough height for the battery you mention.

I have also been looking in the 1944 Chilwell VAOS Catalogue LV7 MT4 and all the battery's other than the motorcycle size are too tall.

I'm still wondering if this was for a glass accumulator or small battery just to run an interior light in the sidecar?

Rob

Ron Pier
I think Rob is wasted making gates and fences with this standard of carpentry. Any pictures of the Swallow side-car you made Rob? Ron

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I will try to find a photo of my replica Swallow body.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Ah, no small car battery then! It was just an idea...

Cheers,
Jan

Nieuwe pagina 1