Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA WAR WORKERS

BSA factory,Small Heath,workers from the new building during the Royal Visit 18th April 1940.This building was hit by two bombs on 19th November 1940,fifty three workers were killed. photo DSC_0499-2_zps4f4f0397.jpg

Re: BSA WAR WORKERS

This painting from THE OTHER BATTLE book shows the New Building after the bombing,this large painting about 8ft x 6ft is now on display at the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery (at the top of New Street)the New Building was used for gun manufacture and was built during WW1 it even had a rifle range on its roof. photo DSC_0500_zpsa7d573e9.jpg Motorcycles being wheeled down the ramp at the BSA factory later in the war.  photo DSC_0498_zpscfa09e7e.jpg

Pre war BSA army motorcycles,SV v twins looks late thirties,could be for export as air filters fitted and block tread tyres no chrome etc.  photo DSC_0503_zpsd0c17e90.jpg

Looks like a G14.

Yes these were ordered by the Dutch army for home use and use in the Dutch East Indies.

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

I still can't understand why they went for the Big 4 instead of the G14 (or Matchless Model X) for the SWD outfits...Probably it was a 'political' decision...

As it turned out they ended up considering the Norton under powered for that job so perhaps they should have!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian I think the reason was that Norton had seen the writing on the wall and were devolving it well before the war and sold it to the WO, therefore it was the only one ready in time. Plus it was a simple single cylinder SV. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Perhaps they preferred singles..That is a possibility as the opinion was expressed at the time that the OHV 500 BSA v twin was too complicated...

However, BSA and Royal Enfield (I think) also submitted machines for testing in a bid to get the contract for SWD outfits so I don't think the deciding factor was the 'state of readiness'...(the BSA SWD prototype was an M21)...

Presumably either of the others could have come out on top in tests theoretically and would then have been selected for service in preference to the Norton I imagine...

I think I read that Norton got the idea from a private trials competitor who developed the idea...or it might have been another, smaller company that developed it...It's a long while back I read about it and can't quite remember.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes I have the article somewhere, but like you Ian I can't remember the names and dates. But I think it was the son of old Uncle Norton who was using a SWD outfit at trials events and the thing was developed through the Norton racing sheds I think, and they were ready for production as soon as war broke out......Rik will know Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

There was a suggestion that the Norton SWD was based on the pre-war Baughan design but Norton successfully avoided any design registrations by him. Dennis Mansell, son of the Norton MD was probably the most successful pre-war exponent of the SWD sidecar.

It does seem likely that a single cylinder design was preferred. Norton of course could have provided 500cc or 600cc OHV engines had they been instructed to do so. The OHC engines would have been too expensive and difficult to maintain but again Norton had plenty of experience in getting torque and power out of 600cc versions of that too.

The SWD Big 4 was essentially a pre-war idea. Had they decided to continue with wartime development then the Ministry of Supply could have compelled Norton to give up their design and patent protections.

However, there is no doubt that Nortons were building very robust frames and forks in 'first grade tubing' together with a substantial sidecar chassis featuring a decently supported axle.

Anyone who thinks that the 'ordinary' SWD Big 4 isn't brisk enough off-road ought to passenger Lex in the mud for a day ! Believe me, they can press on !

Another wider view of the Dutch army G14 models,this is the end of the moving belt. photo DSC_0504-1_zps1f9f6264.jpg  photo DSC_0499-1_zps3fa8b1e9.jpg

Lovely pictures, Steve.
Go on, keep them coming

I recently got hold of a copy of The Other Battle. It is a brilliant read and makes it abundantly clear that, quite simply, without BSA and it's arms and munitions factories the Allies would not have won the War. The efforts and sacrifices of the BSA workers were absolutely remarkable. If you haven't read it I strongly recommend that you do!

Nieuwe pagina 1