Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Splitting Tight Crankcases

Hello, I am planning to split the crankcases to change the engine bearings. The two halves are very tight and a slight tap is not helping. I am also apprehensive of tapping it hard. What is the best possible way to split? Should I use a special puller for this? or are there any tricks? Please help

Thanks and Regards
Pratap Henry

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Re: Splitting Tight Crankcases

Remove the three bolts holding the cases together and the two nuts fitted to the studs that locate the mag straps..

Next remove the timing gear and crankshaft pinion....

You will see that the pinion fits against a shoulder on the main shaft..

You will then need a piece of tube that is slightly smaller than the large diameter of the shaft and has a hole up the middle that just clears the shaft where the pinion fitted....It also needs to be a few inches longer than the piece of shaft the pinion was fitted on..

Slip the tube over the shaft, against the shoulder and apply a few blows with a mallet/hammer...This will usually get things moving...

Ideally, if you have access to a lathe, make the tube as thick as you can within the limits described and don't drill all the way through to leave a solid end to strike against...

Once the two halves are separated you can usually pull the crank from the drive side by hand...If not a few blows with a hide mallet on the end of the drive shaft will get it moving...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1