Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fork link brazing - (Dave P?)

I've got a fairly specific question for the experts. I'm refurbishing my links and pins, but unfortunately one link needs to be replaced. So, I've got the new link and pins machined, but before I get to brazing, I was wondering if the best approach is A) a tight, press fit of the pins to the links, or B) a more loose/slip fit where braze will also fill the slight gap along the full pin/link touching faces?

In either case, per Dave P's excellent instructions, I'll be using a countersunk hole on the outside for the braze to pool it. But I can't decide which fit is the best for the pins, pre-braze. I will be using a jig to make sure the pins are in perfect position, so any play in the fit won't be an issue.

Any thoughts from the group??? Thanks!

Craig

Re: Fork link brazing - (Dave P?)

Hi Craig,

Radco recommends a neat slide fit to braze or silver solder the pins on the links. And using a jigplate to get them parallel.

I am no expert but personally I feel reluctant to saw the pins of the links as I think it will never equal the strength of the onepiece links. Also wonder how much the heat will affect the strength of the steel. But when no good links are available it will be a solution of course.

Also think the idea of turning the worn pins round and fitting a thin walled steel bush round it (as noticed on this forum a few days ago) very interesting as it keeps the links in one piece and involves no heat.

Good luck, Michiel NL

Indeed,
or use a thicker bronze bush.
Done this om my thirties BSA, wich was steel on steel.

A long time ago, I used old gun barrels (could have been .303 BSA...), trimmed them down and silver-soldered them in pairs in the links. Then I cut them in half, so they would be exactly parallel. A LOT of work, it took me at least a week, but then, Russells was yet unknown to me...

Perfect, thanks for the feedback guys. I don't know why I didn't think to look in the Radco manual first, great suggestion.

For what it's worth, I am refurbishing 3 out of 4 of the pins (rather than rebuilding). The problem with the 4th is that somewhere along the line a previous owner fitted a link where the pin centers were VERY out of spec. I noticed excessive play over the years, but I had no idea one link was so off until I pulled them all for refurbishing. Can't wait to get it back on the road with both the refurbished pins and bushes, but mostly the correct pin spacing! Anyway, that's why I have to rebuild one of them from scratch.

Thanks again-

Craig

Yes, I also found large differences in the center distances of the pins, up to 0.8 - 1 mm! on nos links. That will obviously not work well, so they are not all interchangable but have to be matched in pairs.

Also check them sideways on a surfaceplate (with both pins lying on the surface and try to rock the link). Links that looked nos to me were way out of parallel when checked this way.

Good luck, Michiel

Nieuwe pagina 1