Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pigeon carrier

Anyone got a decent pic or info on a carrier that would have been used to carry pigeons on the back of a motorcycle in early WW2? Or would it have just been a standard wicker carrier of the day.......actually, they still seem to make these. Thought it might be useful back-up where the mobile phone signal fades out.

Re: Pigeon carrier

Hi Ferg, I have a WW11 pigeon carrier on my 3G. I bought it from Malvern some time ago. Im unsure if its of RAF or army origin but as it's the same colour as my bike it was meant to be. On top it has a webbing carrying handle and wire door each side. To enhance the look,I have added a decoy pigeon which gets a few smiles from the cars passing.
 photo g3_zpsxumq725x.jpeg

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Thanks, Pete! I will keep a look out. I am getting my G3WO ready for runs and I thought one way of adding some luggage capacity (no pannier frames) would be to install a topbox in the shape of a pigeon carrier! I like the idea of having a pigeon's head sticking out.......or maybe a ferret......I quite fancy the thought of telling folk that the British Army used trained ferrets in WW2 to bite through German communication and demolition cables, deployed behind the enemy lines by firing in a specially modified mortar. . (Of course, someone is now going to inform me that they DID!).

Ferg, I suspect that the combination of road shocks and vibration would result in a severely disorientated dove when it emerged !

What you're looking for is actually the world's most uncomfortable and inconvenient rucksack ! Panniers ! Who needs 'em ?

THE BRITISH ARMY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM 1939-45
THE BRITISH ARMY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM 1939-45© IWM (H 304

I thought the ferrets were trained to run up the Germans trouser legs...

After three successful sorties the pigeons were promoted to Eagle and retired... ... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1