Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Air Filter query; WARNING, the "M" word is used

Can any kind soul tell me if the screw on circular air filter for the 276 carb will fit on a Matchless G3L? The clearance between the carb mouth and the rear tank mounting is tight. Looks just about do-able but the filters are not cheap so just checking.

Re: Air Filter query; WARNING, the "M" word is used

Hi Ferg, I tried the large filter/gauze but the rear tank mount was in the way. There is a smaller gauze/filter within the trumpet for the 276 from Surrey Cycles and this fit ok for both G3 and G3L. Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Thanks, Pete....really useful. When you say small....what is the diameter? Can you give me dimensions.......Hitchcocks list one for the 276 but am not sure if this is the "small" you refer to. It really is about time I fitted one, particularly for the War & Peace Show!

Ferg, it is more or less a direct replacement for the bell mouth, 45mm wide and 10mm deep screwing directly onto the carb, any larger and your restricted by the tank mount. I can send a photo if required. Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Pete, no need for a picture......it sounds like the Hitchcocks one IS too large so will try Surrey Cycles. Many thanks! Saved me grief.

Ferg, these things are not really air filters, more flame traps, although of course they will stop your everyday bug from entering the carb.

I have this one which is surplus to my requirements and you're welcome to try it and buy it quite cheaply if it's of any use.

It's spun aluminium and about 27mm long and nearly 50mm wide. Ron

photo G 1707_zps2e5a8mwi.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, yes, I was looking at the type Pete is talking about on the Hitchcock's site ( by the way, Hitchcock's price is almost 50% of Surrey Cycles) and they are a bellmouth with a mesh cover, which is better than nothing, but not an air filter as such. Would like to try yours, Ron. Are you going up to Stafford next month?

No not going to Staffs this time. Email me your address and I'll post it. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1