Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"The Letter Bearer" by Robert Allison

I was browsing new novels at the local bookstore when I spotted this title and cover...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1619026120/ref=s9_simh_gw_g14_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0N65F7FDRVV65ZHVG07B&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869742&pf_rd_i=desktop

I was a few pages in when it struck me it was indeed going to be about a DR.

An excerpt from page 6-7...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A motorcycle collapsed onto its haunches, its wheels crumpled like bottle caps. He has no memory of it... [ ]... A man with dark moons for eyes crouches over him. Black lenses stitched into a wrap of hide. His peaked cap displays the insignia of a pale blue eagle over tricolor cockade.

Deutsches Afrikakorps

'Tommy? Tommy, can you hear me? Nice motorcycle, Tommy. Matchless Three-fifty cc. Overhead valve. Teledraulic fork. Good for the bumps.'

He hoists the sand goggles onto his forehead.

'I know British motorcycles. Norton side valve. Velocette. BSA. I rode an Empire Star with side car. Very reliable. Almost as good as German. But our Zundapp has Sperrdifferential. Hydraulische brakes. It's the future. I said to my older brother to have my BSA but he bought a Benelli instead. Can you believe it? A Benelli. I said to him, don't buy this Italian shit. They make nothing to last. Just like the mine you rode over. Rusted detonator wires, you see. The smallest touch and boom! Italienischer Schrott. Your Matchless is kaput, Tommy.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody read it?

Re: "The Letter Bearer" by Robert Allison

I hate it when they kill off the hero in the first few pages..........

Re: "The Letter Bearer" by Robert Allison

Haha. Good one, Ferg.

That is one of my concerns, actually. The story appears to be about his dismounted adventures. I have it on order from the library. I'll report back when I'm finished.

Nieuwe pagina 1