Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TRW ride..

It was a lovely sunny day down here in Devon today so I answered the urge to take the TRW for a ride out and about on Dartmoor.....

On the way home I stopped off and took this pic. by one of the blast shelters at RAF Harrowbeer...It was a wartime airfield situated north of Plymouth. Little now remains intact...

Home to various fighter squadrons at different times including a Polish and a Czech squadron...

Planes that flew from Harrowbeer were Blenhiems, Hurricanes, Spitfires, Typhoons and Whirlwinds (a twin engine fighter/bomber....

The airfield was built in 1941 and interestingly the hardcore used during the construction of runways was the rubble from buildings destroyed in the Plymouth Blitz...I guess you could say the Luftwaffe helped with construction...Ian

photo DSC00690.jpg

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: TRW ride..

Nice Picture Ian.
Looking at the bike I wonder, were they very different from the triumph TR5 Trophy - apart from the engine itself offcourse, being all alloy OHV ?

I've heard that people use the TRW to make Trophy replicas Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think that is the only way to get a Trophy, as they are very rare.
I suppose the frame and all is very much the same - and a bit different from the other pre units.

Yes, many TRWs have been (and still are being) broken up to make Trophy replicas...

Fortunately more and more of them are being valued for what they are rather than what they could be...

This is reflected in the sharp rise in TRW prices over the last few years. They are now at least on a par with WW2 machines in the UK with reasonable runners starting at around £4000 and some of the low mileage examples fetching up to £7000....

Mine is the less common BTH equipped version, with BTH mag,switchgear and alternator...It's from the third year of TRW production, 1951...

There are still quite a lot of NOS spares available which makes it a practical bike to run about on...Late last year I fitted a NOS gearbox and now have enough parts in hand to build a complete NOS engine...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1