Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox Selector Pins/Pegs

Hi All

I need to replace one of the pins that that guide/secure the selector forks in the gearbox of my M20 however it doesn't seem to be covered in the manual. I wanted to check on the best method for the removal of these before I go ahead with a drift or press potentially causing damage. Do they just drift out or is there more to it that that?

Also I take it they are probably one use only and will need to order a new one in

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Martyn

email (option): martynhillyard@msn.com

Re: Gearbox Selector Pins/Pegs

You can drift the pegs out with a hammer and suitable punch...I have reused the pegs frequently...Originally they were fitted and then the back of them was swaged over to retain them...

Once removed some of the material that forms the swage is lost...I refit them with a little 'retaining fit' Loctite after cleaning the peg and the hole with paint thinners to remove any residual oil...

Do not use an excess of Loctite and apply it only to the peg to avoid driving any out of the other end of the hole. Remove any surplus thoroughly before it goes off as it can restrict/prevent the movement of the selector forks if it gets under them...

I've never had a peg come out yet using that method...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

And in direct conflict with the Repair / Restore debate happening you might want to consider fitting later B series roller pegs which give a much better gear change and less wear on the cam slots than the military fixed pegs.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks for the info. In regards to the swaged end of the peg. Is it tapered and can only go out one way? Or can I use a drif on the top of the peg

You have to drift them out from the opposite end to the 'head'...They are swaged on that end...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thats fine, proably a stupid question but wanted to be sure as it doesn't seem to keen on budging, might have to try the press

Nieuwe pagina 1