Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Colour

Hi

Is this colour correct for a 1941 Ariel WNG?

photo D991F8E3-BC3E-4736-8E2F-D70E142BCA55_zpsaiilezap.jpg

Thanks in advance

Dorian Micallef

email (option): Dorianmicallef@gmail.com

Re: Colour

The colour looks fine where did you get the paint? Do you have more photos of the rest of the bike

Cheers Steven

email (option): Goodbell@ripnet.com

also look at:

http://www.wdbsa.nl/colour.htm

cheers,
Maarten

email (option): maartenengels@hotmail.com

It's as good as any other colour.
Richard

Correctness or otherwise of a colour can not and never will be able to be confirmed from a digital photo ( which will not be accurate ) rendered on a computer from a forum.
It can only ever be affirmed in person in daylight against a swatch of known correct colour painted onto a flat piece of metal.
The camera alters the colour.
Whatever program you used to upload it alters the colour
the forum softwear alters the colour
the users computer alters the colour and the users computer screen also alters the colour
And then there is the quality of light in the users room.
And we havent even started with the fact that the screen is backlit and the tank is front lit

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

As Trevor says, it's impossible to judge on a screen.

A bike of this period would have been painted Khaki Green No.3

This is a difficult colour which even in natural light can flip from the goose-turd green / grey to almost a brown shade.

If I had to make a judgment, I'd say that the colour you have looks to have a yellow / bright green bias that I don't recognise from original samples.

The Matchless G3L tank in the picture, is like many NOS parts I have for Matchless, and would say it's a 1943/44 colour, like Light Greem G5.

If you are restoring to factory specs, then you can pinpoint the colour that was used reasonably well, but to find someone who can mix the right colour is a whole different ballgame, Ron is doing pretty good with the KG No.3 !!

If it is a late '41 bike, they may have started on the SCC 2 (Brown)

ps, agree with Trevor!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net

RIK - my 3hw color is supposed to be #3

And judging by your description, its what i got - I've never known a color which changes so much according to light.
Taken some pix for dating, and they look nothing like the color when placed next to bike !

Because your eye sees what the surface reflects, naturally what gets reflected will be dependant upon the colour of the light falling on it in the first place.
Then you get interactions between the layer of paint as no paint is truely opaque.
The heavy lead oxide paints came close which is one reason why they can not match the wartime enamels.
Whatever you do, don't ask your wife for her opinion.
Women can see better than 100 times more colours than men can.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

AH! That is why when I get dressed to go to a jumble in blue jeans red T shirt and green jumper, my wife will say "You can't go dressed like that! Whatever will Ian think"

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks all for you comments.

I know it is very hard to judge the colour from a digital pic.

My Ariel is mid 1941 so should be Khaki green no 3. Am I correct?

I had this paint mixed at a local paint shop. Using Ral 6003 , Ral 6025 and Ral 8025 @ 15:5:7.

Anyone can tell me how I can mix some khaki green no. 3. It's a hard colour to match.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dorian Micallef

Ron Pier
AH! That is why when I get dressed to go to a jumble in blue jeans red T shirt and green jumper, my wife will say "You can't go dressed like that! Whatever will Ian think"

Ron

Jaysus, Ron. Are you planning on dressing up as a leprechaun for Paddy's day again ?

Another photo in different light condition, it does vary quite a bit.

photo 94118EA8-7F6C-43C6-87AA-03ABB56BDD82_zpspaz4fjjw.jpg

Hi,

I'm going to off-topic a little bit this thread.

I have a classic military vehicle meeting by the end of April, and I'd like to bring my BSA WM20 there. The problem is that I'm focusing on having it running, so I won't be able to paint it for that day.

The bike is now painted in black, with chromed handlebar, levers and girder spring knob. The tank is painted in some shade of yellow I can't describe.

Before asking my question, please note that I have no idea about british WW2 vehicles, so please, don't be too offended

What would you think about painting the tank in black, and painting a C number in white on it? the bike would be all black painted, with the C number. I have seen some picture of a black BSA, but I don't know if it is ww2-period-correct, or just another unconscious like me?

Thank you once more

[EDIT]: Ok, I remember where I had seen that black BSA. It is in the visitors bikes section, It's a RAF one: http://wdbsa.nl/visitors%20bikes/176%20Mark%20Frost%20USA.jpg

So, what about painting it black with a RAF emblem?

email (option): albertpascualp@iqs.edu

I think you would be spreading the bounds of artistic license very thin. The RAF bikes would have also been painted green. You could of course make up a story that the Wing Commander used it as his daily hack and got the ground crew to re-paint it black. Better to paint the tank the right colour for your upcoming meeting, and then repaint the rest to match at your leisure. IMHO. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks, maybe it is a better option to paint all the parts that are not black in the appropiate brown/green/sand color. (I will ask in this forum at some point which color is more correct for my bike)

The other two options that I'm thinking on are:

- Keeping the black-yellow paint and using it as a civilian bike. (with the military parts like the blackout mask removed). Since we are mounting a camp display, I can use it while "off-duty".

- Or maybe leaving the bike at home, and not bringing it to the event... But it will be hard to do so!

email (option): albertpascualp@iqs.edu

Nieuwe pagina 1