Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox or clutch

Hi all...In a recent post "Stubbed on clutch problem" I tried everything to get the bike in hear with the engine running to no avail: took the play out of the levellers, measured all the parts, got the right parts, went to the technical section and did the tests for clutch drag etc etc.

I got my son to push the on the lever on thee gearbox all the way home totally freeing the clutch, yet still its impossible to put the bike in gear. When I pull in the clutch without the engine running and use the kick starter the clutch slips as it should. I am starting to think its something to do with the gearbox. However the gearbox runs through the gears just fine no issue. I did put a new drive sprocket on the box, perhaps that has something to do with it? Has anyone had this problem?

Re: Gearbox or clutch

If the engine is spinning too fats you will not be able to select 1st gear, it will just grind and make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
You might like to try second gear.
If the sleeve gear ( top ) bearing is cactus then you will also have troubles selecting gears when the engine is running as the engine will pull the main shaft foreward.
Same thing with the smaller bearing in the inner cover to a lesser degree.

The small bearing on the main shaft can come loose particularly if some one has been too enthusiastic with the "smart tap" on the end of the main shaft to remove the clutch center.
The bearing is only held in place by a very small lip which is oft found sheared off.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks I will pull out the gear box and overall it

one thing you can do is take 1 steel and 1 fibre plate out I did this and my clutch was as smooth a silk I also found the first selection of a gear after it had been standing for a few days crunched after that it would be smooth

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

one thing you can do is take 1 steel and 1 fibre plate out I did this and my clutch was as smooth a silk I also found the first selection of a gear after it had been standing for a few days crunched after that it would be smooth

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Thanks roger...I did take out the plates to no avail, as I did with my other WDM20. I think it must be something to do with a repro drive sprocket I put on the bike. I think it might be too deep into toward the main gearbox bearing, putting pressure on the bearing. I am going to reluctantly do what Trevor is suggesting and have a more in depth look at the bearings in the gear box and what is really going on with the drive sprocket.

I have also had the same problem with the 16H and the Ariel both times the RPM was too high so i turned them down and both went in to gear fine

Cheers Steven

email (option): goodbell@ripnet.com

Finally soughed the problem out. The main gear box shaft is slightly bent, which locks the clutch sleeve, hence the clutch has no effect. I have to pull out the gearbox and replace the main gear shaft. Thanks for all those who have tried to help, much appreciated.

Whoops just when I thought I sorted out my clutch drag issues. I got the gear box out and the gearbox shaft looks fine, so I swapped the new clutch basket I purchase for $275.00 AUD for an old one and 'EUREKA' know wobble. I put it on the bike and it goes into gear no worries. Looks like my English made expensive clutch basket is no good.

Nieuwe pagina 1