Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stubbed on clutch problem

Hi all... I fitted a new clutch basket, clutch sleeve, roller bearing 1/4 x 1/4, clutch fiction plates.

When the engine is running its impossible to put the bike in gear. When the engine is not running I can push the kick starter with the clutch lever in and the basket remains stationary and the fiction plates slip. I have taken out one fiction plates as per my previous M20's. The gear box on this bike (1949 M21) has a different lever at the top of the gear box (compared to the earlier WDM 20s which is on the side).

When I kick the starter with the clutch lever in the chainwheel has a slight wobble. As well I think that the plates are not pushed out enough to allow me to put the bike in gear. I have loosened the clutch spring (single spring clutch) in an attempt to fix the problem. I have read all the tech information on clutch drag and tested accordingly. The clutch seems simple but it is sure giving me hours of trouble. I am now really stubbed on what to do next. Has anyone had this issue that can assist?

Re: stubbed on clutch problem

Hi Bryce,
there is no point in loosening the spring. It must be fully tightened.
Have you checked the cable adjusting and the correct position of the lever on the gear box ?
And is the push rod long enough ?
You dont have to worry about a slicht wobble, as long as the clutch comes free.
I think that that is the problem; its doesnt free properly.
Thats why you cant put the bike in gear.

Yes, spring must be tight.
You need about 1/8" to 1/4" of travel in the pushrod to get enough sepeation for the plates to slide over each other.
When I put all new plates in they were getting stuck on the basket so I made a longer pushrod and put a spring between the clutch arm and the gearbox so my clutch arm swung out to near 45 deg which gave a lot of lift.

There are other things to consider.
A little wear at the handle bar pivot will drastically increase the load on you hand and reduce the pull on the cable.
Same thing for the pushrod, a small amount of wear can reduce the lift drastically.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Yes the clutch lever at the bars was worn but I welded it and re-drilled it, but still a little movement. perhaps thats the issue, may have to get new levers, tried everything else. Thanks for trying to help, appreciated.

Nieuwe pagina 1