Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for aid in researching Norton 16h bike history

I was told it was OK to post about war Nortons on this mostly M20/21 forum, if not please remove with my apologies.

I now own a Norton 16h. I just paid Dutch Lion Motorbikes and in a few weeks they will ship it to me in the US.

I would like to know as much as possible about this bike's history. I joined the Norton Owners Club last night. Unfortunately the records request system appears to be only for pre-and-post war bikes.

I requested a 'basic search', no word yet. Should I do a factory records search even though it seems to not cover war bikes?

If you can help me gather any information on this bike's original configuration and service I would be very (very) grateful.

I am told it is a 1942 Norton 16h. Some googling has revealed a previous owner was Rob de bas in Holland, however on the wdNorton webpage it lists it as a 1940.

My copy of "British forces Motorcycles" has no information on frames numbers between 83000 and 90000. The information for the engine in the book only says 01/02/40CD (Contract Date).

My father served in WWII and was part of the Normandy invasion. He rode an Indian war bike during the war, so I have a keen interest in knowing if this bike has any war history.

Frame number W84817
Engine number W17426

email (option): bmwcyclist@yahoo.com

Re: Looking for aid in researching Norton 16h bike history

Hi Tim, good to see you asking on here. This forum changed some time ago to cover all WD bikes. (see the heading at the top of this page). You're not alone as a 16H enthusiast in the USA.

I doubt you will ever know where your bike actually served or with which unit, but there might be clues?

I'll be interested to see what Rik might have to say about those missing numbers as the engine in my own 16H is close to your frame W83245.

I'd also be interested in what Indian your Dad rode. Have you any pictures?

Regards. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Tim, I have posted a reply on the NOC forum as follows :-

"The Orchard & Madden book is a fantastic piece of research but fortunately some more snippets of information have become available since it was first published in 1995.

The motorcycle numbered W84817 was delivered under contract S2602. Reference to 'O&M' shows 5000 machines with WD Serial numbers C5266965 - C5271964. Ordnance records show that these were in fact W83765 - W88764 (you'll notice that the last two digits match the serial numbers).

W84817 would have displayed the number C5268017 on the fuel tank.

This contract was actually noted for delivery 'Jan 1944 at 1600/month' which would put delivery of yours to RAOC Chilwell somewhere around January or February of 1944 with onward delivery to a unit at some point after this."

By 1944, the WD16H was no longer being issued in great numbers to the British Army but the Canadians remained loyal to them and most of the images of bikes from this contract show them in Canadian service. At the end of the war, most Canadian transport was left in The Netherlands so this may account for the Dutch connection (an examination of the post-war documents relating to it may shed some light) but there is also the posibility that it was bought from post-war BAOR sales or that it moved to The Netherlands more recently (the Dutch are well-known for raiding the UK's diminishing supply of old motorcycles and spare parts )

Don't be afraid to get it dirty !

photo B 1944 C5268489 S.2602 1944 Holland_zpsduvd4huf.jpg

Yes! I do have some photos, I will email them to you or post them on one of the forums that have a .jpg upload feature. Thanks!

email (option): bmwcyclist@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1