Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil lines m20 and m21

Hello! I'm rebuilding an m21 and have hit a snag. It didn't come with oil lines from the oil tank and I'd like to get them fitted. It seems that they are simply unavailable. Is there another solution? Perhaps just running hydraulic line with clamps from the threaded connector to connector? Am I making this harder than it should be?

Thank you!

Re: Oil lines m20 and m21

There's no way you need to bodge it like that. Firstly, have you tried Les at Russell's or Draganfly or C&D Auto's etc for ready made pipes? Otherwise you can buy all the stuff you need here to make them.

5/16" copper tube with solder on nipples and 1/4 BSP nuts and rubber hose with ferrules for the flexi bit. https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/search?query=copper+pipe

Email me if you want a picture. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I bought a pair from Draganfly a few months ago. I had some of the connecting parts already so I only bought the pipes, but they have the whole things in stock as well.

Thank you both, I was looking at Draganfly last night and they have some of the parts but not all. If you could post a quick picture that would help! I have not looked at the other sites and will dig into looking there. Thank you!

For a long time BSA used rubber oil lines, not copper. Not sure when they started using copper lines but that could even be post-war but I am not sure about that. Many war time photos clearly show these rubber oil lines and so does the parts list.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

My 1944 parts list quotes 66-8406 and Draganfly show those as the copper/rubber return pipe from 1940-63.....I think. I suppose the make up is the same. You just choose how long the flexi hose is.

Here is a picture I have on record. Ron

photo M20278_zpsf269dd38.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Jack D
Thank you both, I was looking at Draganfly last night and they have some of the parts but not all.

Here they are!
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/accessories-a-misc/product/13801-
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/accessories-a-misc/product/13801-

I think they manufacture them as they are ordered, hence the "No stock, backorder". Did take them quite a while for mine to come along now that I think of it.

As my bike is nothing lik standard, I fit modern teflon linned stainless braided lines to my M20.
Been there for near 20 years.
Only part that does not leak oil.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

trevor
Only part that does not leak oil.

You need to replace them immediately!

I use pieces of plastic, not rubber. So I can see the oil running both ways, even while riding the bike. Done so since the mid seventies.
Very reassuring...

Thank you all, I think I have a solution worked out for the short term, I found bsp threaded nuts and barbs and ordered them so I'll have something for eventual kick-over.

The great people at Draganfly replied and said they would put the part on order and will let me know when they have some more made. I really like the clear tube idea, thank you!

My reference point for all of this (Simon has seen my bike on BritBike) was a restoration of my 1972 CB750, which has oil lines the size of garden hoses and holds more oil than a v6 truck I own!!! Thank you all!

Here she is, she now has a seat and springs also, and a gas cap!

photo FAD372A7-B42C-4476-913C-D3E61F8056E3_zpssmadjgqm.jpg

Ah, Hello again!

The thing is, not being an expert on CB750s, is that they I think have different bearings for instance on the crank. M20 is all roller bearing and thus only need the oil to splash a bit. Whereas the CB for instance need a higher pressure.
I think... now waiting for someone to correct me...

/s

De Groot has oil lines

http://www.degroot-bsa.nl/index.php?route=product/product&path=72_163&product_id=2436

Nieuwe pagina 1