Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leaky carb

Hi all just wondering if someone could help me I have a wm20 with 276 carb on it which seem to be leaking from the main body at the bottom through the threads I know there is a washer in there it seems to be okay but every time I put the petrol on seems to be leaking from that area anybody got any ideas I'm going to put a new gasket in when it arrives in the meantime if anybody got a carb for sale or knows of anywhere I can get a one Or does anybody re-Ferb carbs? Any help would be appreciated thank you Keith .

email (option): Keithsprague@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Leaky carb

Hi,

You can buy them "new" from Burlen.co.uk
I know they just made a new batch because I ordered one from them (they're not cheap mind you...)

email (option): maartenengels@hotmail.com

Maybe you can use Loctite to "fill up" the threads.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

(they're not cheap mind you...)...

No they aren't...So it's a bit unfortunate for the price they charge that they don't plate all the fittings in the proper dull chrome finish...

I'm about to have all mine redone... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I would check the float and float needle especially the needle end and its seating petrol will leak into carb if its not seating properly.

I agree on a check of the float. I had this problem, in my case it was mainly due to the body thread being damaged. The some previous owner had used a hard setting glue / gasket grunge and he threads were damaged as a result. Henk kindly sold me a used body, a little fettling was needed but it all went together. However there was stil, some weeping from this joint. When you look at how the whole lot builds then as far as I recall there is a gap, so if the fuel level is a little high the excess is designed to get out. At least that was my conclusion. Because the float chamber was glued up by I assume the same previous owner I've never taken the float chamber apart, because it will mean I need a new one, so I'm waiting for one to come my way before I take that step

Richard

email (option): dickie.bobbie@hotmail.co.uk

On the 276 with 'R' suffix, the top of the slot in the mixing chamber (above the mixing chamber nut) is an overflow. If this is blocked then it will act like the earlier 276 (as fitted to Norton) and any overflow situation will either be into the engine or back out of the bell-mouth.

The correct fuel level is halfway up the pilot air screw. The jet block is a light press fit in the mixing chamber so the overflowing fuel cannot be coming up from underneath.

This means that any escape is via the main needle jet which indicates one of two things. Either the float level is too high (which is unlikely to occur in use) or the float needle is not sealing. However, even with NOS chambers and needles, the situation can still occur. I can't believe that it was always such a problem with a carb in good condition and suspect that the buoyancy of the old style brass floats is perhaps a bit borderline with the altered specific gravity of modern fuels. I haven't tried it but it may be the case that a modern plastic replacement float from Burlen / Amal is a better option (but will also need the revised two-groove float needle as the fixing system has been altered).

Ian Wright
(they're not cheap mind you...)...

No they aren't...So it's a bit unfortunate for the price they charge that they don't plate all the fittings in the proper dull chrome finish...

I'm about to have all mine redone... ...Ian

Hi Ian,

May I ask which company do you use to re-plate your items in dull chrome ?

My pre war levers are a little tatty and I also have a shiny chrome 'long Mag lever that I would like to have finished in dull chrome.

Is it an expensive procedure ? (Ps is dull chrome correct for early levers or should it me cadmium 🤔

Many thanks 👍🏻

Mark

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1