Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CANVAS HAND-GRIPS

Bought myself some repro 'canvas hand grips' off eBay - nicely made, expensive for what they are, but very distinctive on a WD bike.

Question ...... any recommendations how to fit, bearing in mind that they are simple, soft canvas sleeves?

The seller recommends epoxy adhesive ... yes i can see this as suitable for the brass ferrules, but i for see a god almighty mess when trying to 'slip' the canvas tubes over epoxied handlebar.

Any idea's out there ?

Re: CANVAS HAND-GRIPS

Hi Nig

Have you thought about the golf club method?

You put a couple of layers of double sided tape on the handlebars and just before you slide the grip in place, a quick wipe over the tape with a white spirit soaked cloth, this allows the grips to slide into place and once all in place, leave for 24 hours to set properly.

Never tried it with canvas but the method should be just the same.

Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Put the epoxy inside the grip, not on the bars...Then any surplus will be pushed from the outer end and be easy to clean up...

When I had webbing grips on my M20 I stuck them on with silicone...That worked OK....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

DARREN - Not heard of the golf club method before (a good walk spoiled ...etc), my experience of double sided tape (i was well known for using it on damn near anything for school projects) is that anything held with the stuff tends to creep under load - but then again, i suppose you don't see many clubs flying out of handles ...

IAN - that was my first thought (re epoxy), i have used silicon and polyurethane glue (the foaming stuff meant for wood - wet the h/bars first) to bond grips onto MX bars - only problem is getting them off again to replace the grips when they wear out (surprisingly quickly).

Hair-spray also works.

Any other thoughts ?

Just put some on today used super glue, worked ok.

Nigel, You won't be taking them off any time soon..Webbing grips last a long time...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian - re removing ... meant for MX not the canvas ones.

I'll warm up the epoxy (cold up here) and give it a try when i get back from Telford, seems best option.

Sorry but 'superglue' is not permanent - my 5 year old models fell to bits after using the s**t.

nigP

Sorry but 'superglue' is not permanent - my 5 year old models fell to bits after using the s**t.

Oh great so now I've got to wait 5 years to fond out if that's true

I have always used hair spray for all rubbe bits on bikes including handlebar grips.
The ones on my M20 were put on there 1999 and are yet to move even after riding 2 hours into rain so heavy I had to go down to 1st gear ( Goolwa BSA National ) and towing it 14 hours through torrential rain ( Gold Coast BSA National )
Spray both the bars & grips till they are dripping then slide on quickly, leave overnight to set.
Make sure you use the same brand & fragrance as SWMBO otherwise she will be wondering which "tart" you ave been seeing till the fragrence fades away.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1