Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 engine from storage: anything I need to think about?

Hello Everyone,

My wm20 engine came complete with its 1955 dated rebuild plate and a brass fitting in the spark plug hole. This leads me to believe it was rebuilt and never run. The piston crown is as-new clean with no signs of it ever having been run. The inside is clean, and I've checked the oil pump. No sludge, no blockages.Everything seems to turn over exactly as it should. The magneto is timed, even, and sparks.

My question is this: when rebuilt (if indeed it was) these engines would have been stored to await use. Is there anything that I need to be aware of that they did to it before I put it in the frame, add oil and run it?

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Re: WM20 engine from storage: anything I need to think about?

I've no personal experience of such things but I have heard of (wax?) seals being used to block off the intake and exhaust ports of engines in storage. Whether that is myth I don't know, but if not it is an easy enough thing to check - assuming such items were not visually obvious in the first place. If you have any concerns about it, please pass the engine on to me and I will be happy to relieve you of the worry about it Dunc

Allan Hunter
The piston crown is as-new clean with no signs of it ever having been run.

From this I take it that you have lifted the cylinder head? That is about what I would do. Just to check that there is no rust from piston rings. I guess you could lift the barrel as well to feel that the crank revolves freely, but I probably wouldn't. Come to think of it I probably would just kick it right away and hope for the best. Not that I recommend that in anyway.

I would of course check valve clearence. And I guess you could remove the valves just to kinda have a look that the springs look ok and that the valves aren't stuck or anything.

How good the engine is will depend on how it has been stored...

I've had a couple of REME rebuilt engines and gearboxes and although they didn't have the cosmetic 'finesse' of one built by a loving owner they were rebuilt properly to a good standard...

I would assess what it's like by looking at the amount of corrosion, or lack of it, inside the timing cover when you are fitting a mag and doing the timing...If it looks OK I'd just run it as is and see how it goes...

As Simon notes a check of the basic settings...ignition timing (if a mag is already fitted), tappet settings, carb base settings and valve lifter setting would be sensible at the outset...

If it is a rebuilt unit you will also have to follow normal running in procedures..I'd also change the oil once you have run the engine sufficiently to get it up to full working temperature...Say 10 miles on the road...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
I'd also change the oil once you have run the engine sufficiently to get it up to full working temperature...Say 10 miles on the road... ]

But of course, quite important. Forgot!

what engine not full of cosmolene which you have to dig out with a tea spoon

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Many thanks for all this good advice - Simon, Ian, Dunc, and others. I will do all you say, and once the snow goes I'll give it a try out!
Best wishes, Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1