Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Control panel and electrical details for late contract wm20

The other day i was looking for a part for another bike that i have, and discovered that in my boxes of bit's i had a number of parts that i needed for my ex Irish army m20 basket case i brought before Christmas, i was happy to find the following: a dynamo 1947 stamped (close enough!) the cz27 ammeter (ill come back to that) and a complete du42 headlamp less the glass.And the tail light

So this lead me to take a look at the tech pages of this site and now i have the following questions:
According to the information it should have a blank control panel and the switch under the seat and no ammeter, did this apply to the whole contract of s5209 and did this then get taken up by the Irish army?

As i don't have the glass should this be the frosted plate type as i see most wm20's have or the domed type with the oval shape in the centre.

This not really a question but more of an observation, the cz27 ammeter i have is brass bodied and seems right, ie original and not messed with but other than the stamp on the back bottom where it is in this sites pictures, but there is no makers name. I cant believe that Lucas wouldn't name their product, or did this happen with w/d parts?
thanks Grahame

email (option): packagingmuseum@gmail.com

Re: Control panel and electrical details for late contract wm20

Hi Grahame

Your bike - if part of contract S5209 will have had its light switch in the headlight. It did not have the switch under the seat as in the last contract for m20's

It will have been equipped with. CZ27 ammeter - normally brass bodied - if you look carefully under the insulating tab you will normally see some digits - example - 6 44

This indicates month & year of manufacture

Your bike was one of a batch of just over 500 units delivered in 1946 for use in Ireland. The bikes were wartime built but obviously sat in shortage somewhere in the UK & were supplied with census numbers on tanks & black out masks - exactly same as War department machines

They were ordered due to the ill fated experience with Royal Enfields & their return to the uk manufacturer

Soon after their introduction, many m20 machines were stripped of their black out masks & a chrome rim & glass fitted - period photos show clear glass

This is only relevant if you intend to restore it as an irish army vehicle

Hope this helps

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

The domed glasses were post war items...WD machines during the war had a flat glass if no blackout was fitted...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Job and Ian
Thank you for the information, Sorry i mistook the information i had about the contract being the last, i am actually glad that the set up is with the ammeter and switch up front as im not a fan of the other.
As the only modification is the chrome ring and clear glass i shall keep it that way, and if i happen across a blackout mask i can always stick it in a pannier bag!. Handily the ring is chrome so rather than stripping it and painting it i shall get it re-chromed.
I have read Stanley Woods book (what a great character!) and in it they mention the head bearing problems on the RE and that it was him that recommended the M20.

If you don't mind Job i will pm you (as not to clog up the forum over little things) at some point in the week to pick your mind over where it might have been stationed/ regiment numbers if applied to bikes etc. Whilst it was made for the war effort it's life was here so it would be nice to make an effort in that respect.
Regards Grahame

email (option): packagingmuseum@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1