Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch Arm set up ?

Hello all,

I will do my very best to explain my problem.

I have recently received the correct size ball bearing to fit into the clutch arm of my M20😃

The trouble I am having is that no matter how much I adjust the the thread on the special nut (that adjusts the ball bearing seat) the ball bearing doesn't make hardly any contact with the gearbox rod ! It does looks like the ball bearing is physically touching the gearbox rod !

Evan if I push the clutch arm fully towards the gearbox, there is no springiness or resistance felt in the clutch arm !

When I purchased my M20 there was a long bolt (about 2" long) that was in place of the special nut and ball bearing, and that 2" bolt made contact with the clutch rod (the spinny thing inside the gear box) ......... This casued some build up of swarf (metal filings) and at present the spinney face of the rod is more or less flush with the gear box hole (should it be longer ? Has it worn down too much ? Are they very dear to replace?

I'm not too sure what to do next ! Or evan if I'm barking up the right tree

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Kind regards,

Mark

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Clutch Arm set up ?

I would buy a new clutch pushrod...It sounds like the existing one is too short...Then try again..

You should take care to set this up correctly so I would post again once you know you have the right pushrod...

The nut is a locknut...It should have a slotted screw inside it and that adjusts the ball and thus the position of the arm...

This is explained in the factory worksheets...If you don't have them I would advise addressing that situation...You're not going to get very far with no instructions or information...

Henk, who runs the forum, has them on CD for very reasonable money...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your good advice 8-)]

I will now purchase a new pushrod and go from there👍🏻

I have a copy of Henks CD rom , its well worth the money, I'm always on it looking at 'C'' numbers on the photos ... I will certainly refer to the technical section during fitting and the setting up phase. And if I end rocking backwards and forwards in the corner of my garage confused dot Com ... I will indeed turn to you experts on the forum for your sound advice

Bye for now 👍🏻

Kind regards

Mark

Hi Mark...It's not difficult to set up once you grasp the basic principles...

I think I covered the setting of the clutch arm in the piece I wrote on clutch 'slip' and 'drag' in the technical section of the forum, so that may be worth a look......Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Mark...I just lengthen the push rod if the arm is not engaging the rod.

Hi Mark, before getting a longer pushrod you could check if your clutchbasket is fully filled with plates, if so you can take a set out, common practice on a WDM20 single spring clutch. This action will 'shorten' the pushrod length.

Cheers, Michiel

Hi Mark,

Just measured my new pushrod that I got from Russell's, it is 12 and 3/4 inch long. Hope this helps?

Mark, sorry not got around to emailing you back.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks for all your posts ... Great stuff to know !

No worries Dave .... Life is hectic at the best of times .... No worries, good to hear from you on here 👍🏻😃

Fitted new clutch plates yesterday (bought them a week before Ian W. offered his oil resistant plates here - bugger).
I left the two outer plates out, and because the new ones are slightly thicker i didn't have to change the push rod length - only re adjust the bolt on the clutch arm, with some play on the cable.

But after only two miles the play on the clutch cable was gone.
Running in the new plates means they sort of grind in, making the push rod coming out a little bit.
Hope its over now....

Nieuwe pagina 1