Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MOTORING DYNAMOS

Question 1 - my Dynamo happily motors - anti-clockwise as it happens.

Does this mean it has to be driven Clockwise to generate ........ my instinct says yes?

Question 2 - the dynamo has a taper + key, this sound like an AMC dynamo? Is the Triumph 3HW tapered or parallel drive + 2 keys ?

Question 3 - Are all the gears fitted to the various dynamos the same diameter ?
Conversely are all the dynamo drive gears fitted to the magneto the same diameter - i've never noticed a differance ?

Re: MOTORING DYNAMOS

I'm quite sure that if you have a dynamo with a direction arrow on the top, when you motor it, it should run in the direction of the arrow. The AMC dynamo with the taper and key for a chain sprocket is an E3AR-AO5-1 the Magdyno model dynamo (45w) is an E 3HM

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Unfortunetly there is nothing marked on the dynamo casing - i've just stripped it down to the metal (after finish painting it!!!).

I did swap battery polarity when motoring and the rotation remained the same, just a gut instinct that it should rotate in opposite direction to charge.

i'll chuck it up in the lathe tomorrow and see what happens.

Hmm about tapered drive - could be changing out the rotor, if i can find my spare dynamo's ....?

A 3HW mag is driven clockwise which is then driving the dynamo anti clock. Pos or neg to the battery will make no difference to the dynamo rotation, but of course you need to flash it for correct polarisation. You can alter the rotation by swapping the brush wires round. Ron

What Amps would be appropriate for doing this, roughly?

/simon

To do what Simon? If you mean motor the dynamo? I've done it with a 5 amp Cyclon battery. Ron

Yup, for motoring the dynamo. Thanks for info, I'll be doing this in a hopefully not to distant future.

/s

The brush housing plates differ for clockwise and anti clockwise rotation in that the brushes are repositioned so that they are 'trailing' in relation to the armature center line and direction of rotation...This is to reduce brush wear...

They will run in either direction with either set up but you may experience higher brush wear if you've got it wrong...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I used a cyclon battery and recorded approx 2amp while motoring.

i need to check if it generates either way round - will have to use a hand-drill as lathe won't reverse and milling machine is set-up to twin plug some b25/b50 heads.

Thanks ron, was struggling to kick over and see which way mag-gear rotates.

Thought you had to swap field winding wires round, I'll check for brush offset.

Ok, to wrap this thread up -

YES, The direction the dynamo rotates when it is 'motored' is the same as the working direction (I've been working on too many permanent magnet generators of late).

A 14V hand drill is bit slow to get good results - strap it onto an old Magneto and drive the magneto - the step-up gearing drives the Dynamo at something like bike tick-over speed.

Re-magnetise the field-windings, whichever earth you are using (pos, or neg) - earth the dynamo and 'flash' the live lead to the F = Field connection (make sure the D connection is open circuit).

I converted the AMC dynamo by making up a tapered adapter so i could fit the 'standard' drive gear and made up a special M5 stud for the fastener that locates the dynamo and bolts through the top of the magneto.
It seems that all the drive-gears are the same,just how they are fitted to the shaft differs.

Using a PVR2 solid state regulator i now have a working system to fit - job done.

Nieuwe pagina 1