Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel Tank Bolts

Hi all,

I have now switched my mid war cut away fuel tank with an early fuel tank (on my 1940 M20)

The problem is ..... The 2 X under belly bolts (that secure the tank to the frame under neath the tank) don't fasten to my early tank ?

I can feed the bolts up through the rubber dampeners and into the fuel tank thread itself, but the holes in the early tank won't make any purchase with the hole threads!

I've taken the tank off to have a better look , and found that the 2 x threaded holes in my early tank are a fair bit larger than 2 X threaded holes in my mid war tank !

Is it a case of now finding larger bolts to fit ? Or have I been landed with an old tired Indian copy tank ?

PS the threaded holes in the early tank look to be brass ???

Kind regards,

Mark

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Fuel Tank Bolts

Hi Mark

It may just be Braze on the steel which makes it look like brass?

The pre war BSA spares list shows 2 different part numbers for the rear bolts, but the ones listed for the M20 66-8089 are the same as the ones listed for the late war M20, so it looks like the threads should be the same.

Its possible that someone drilled the threads out in the tank to use non standard bolts, either because they lost them or because they messed up the threads.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Fuel Tank Bolts

Hi Rob,

Ah ... Ok, that makes sence ! .... I expect that has what's happened .

And great work with the bolt numbers old and new ! Good to know !

Many thanks

Mark

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1