Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1946 XB31 gearbox plates and footrests

Hi fellow BSA enthusiasts!

I recently bought a 1946 BSA XB31 rigid, in lovely condition. The only thing not working was the speedo, because there was no cable. I ordered a new cable but now I understand why the cable was not mounted: there is no space between the frame lug and the gearbox mount for the cable! This is because my bike has both engine and gearbox plates home-made out of alloy, not a terrific job but everything fitted, well except the speedo cable... And the footrests also were not fitted as they should be originally.
So now I sourced locally two gearbox plates, probably from a plunger frame, but they don't fit. I might get them fitted, after several adaptations.
Maybe can anybody help with gearbox plates + footrests that might fit my 1946 rigid frame?
Or any tips and tricks how to proceed?

Many thanks in advance // Sylvester
(from Belgium)

email (option): siliciano@yahoo.co.uk

Re: 1946 XB31 gearbox plates and footrests

Hi Sylvester,

These gearbox and engine plates are very different from the other B and M group plates.

BSA used a pre-war narrow model gearbox in combination with a later wider engine. I have an XB31 myself so I can send you photos of you need them. These original gearbox plates are not to easy to find. I am afraid.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Henk

Thanks for your reply!
I have the exact same bike, mine doesn't have a toolbox though.
Do you think I could modify the later plates, to suit the gearbox?
Also I think the adjustment of the gearbox compared to the engine is done with a bolt and nuts centrally screwed in the gearbox? So not adjusted on the right hand side?
If you have some pictures, I would love to see them!
Thanks again // Sylvester

Hi Sylvester,

I also have an XB31, very much a work in progress. I've had a plunger frame and gearbox plates a few years ago and the gearbox plates are definitely different. Some of the XB31 parts are hard to get, but I did see gearbox plates complete with stand for sale on ebay a few months ago, so they can still be found.

All the best,

Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Hi Glenn

Thanks for your reply.
How can I spot the difference between plunger plates and easy rigid plates then, if I see some at a classic bike jumble or online? Do you think I could get away by modifying the plunger plates that I have now?

Kind regards // Sylvester

I have just send you some pages of the parts list with the gearbox plates in them.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1