Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 Engine tune up?

Good evening all,

I read somewhere a while back that military M20's had their engines de tuned in order to save on fuel consumption.

Can any one tell me if this is correct ?

If that is the case, is it worth tuning up my engine to full potential or would it do any harm ? Is it an easy task or difficult ?

As usual I look forward to your answers 😄

Kind regards,

Mark Towers

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

Re: M20 Engine tune up?

Hi Mark

I assume any detuning was carburation settings with the M20?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Ahh that makes sense Rob !

Thank you 👍🏻

Mark

That wasn't the case...The engine specifications and carb settings for WD M20s are the same as for civilian models...

There are no meaningful performance improvements that can be gained without engine modifications....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Roger that Ian,

Yes I read your interesting article in the tehnical section. I haven't got the tools or knowledge to under take such an upgrade, and the very low mileage I will be riding wouldn't warrant that anyway. But maybe one day !

When you opened the frottle up on Omaha beach and acheaved a high speed, was that with your up graded M20 ?

Oh .... I need a ball bearing for my clutch rod arm (that makes contact with the long rod that runs through the clutch) is there anywhere local in the west that sells them ? I can't find what size I need

Cheers

Mark

If you mean the one in the clutch arm I probably have one...E mail me about it to remind me...Ian

If you mean the 1/4" ball in the main shaft contacting the clutch push rod any bicycle shop or the Internet can supply them very economically.
Richard

Ian Wright
That wasn't the case...The engine specifications and carb settings for WD M20s are the same as for civilian models...

There are no meaningful performance improvements that can be gained without engine modifications....Ian

I assumed that Mark was referring to the attempted wartime fuel saving measures rather than performance improvements, if they did attempt this with the M20 the carburetor must have been how they did it.

I think I read somewhere (or a man in the pub told me) that some OHV motorcycles had a thick washer placed under the barrel to reduce compression either for this reason or to slow down the average speed, was it Matchless or Ariel?

Rob

Ian Wright

Well yes and no

By accident I ended up running a 930 concentric on my Wm20.
Made a massive difference to the performance
Also made a massive increase in the fuel consumption.
I now run a 626 nicked off a WD 40 and jetted almost the same.
With this fitted I can outrun any M20 wearing a type 27 in both acceleration and absolute top speed, just so long as we are headding towards fuel stop.
The magic pudding was a childrens fiction .

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I suspect reducing compression on OHV engines was to allow the engine to cope with very low grade fuels.
A SV already has a low compression so this is not a problem.

Reducing the CR unfortunately has a direct effect exponential (much worst with lower CR's than higher CR's) effect on fuel consumption - as we see with car modern engines - hence all the techniques needed to improve fueling to get sensible fuel consumption's.

In the 70's my Imp ran a genuine 10:1 (standard car) and returned 40-50 mpg on 4star.
My rally imp - Chesterman 1050 + R134 cam + 12:1 CR + webers - did 35-45 mpg during rally's and +45 going to work - again on 4 star.

De-tuning, so squaddies cannot enjoy themselves was probably not a consideration

You often come across Matchless G3L's with a compression plate under the barrel. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

M20s do have "two" base gaskets, would that make any measurable difference?

Rob

Only 'one' base gasket Rob. But they are so thin, I doubt you'd notice the difference if you fitted two.....But why would you? Ron

An M20 top end gasket set always contained two base gaskets, or did I dream it?

Rob

I think I remember that too! But the parts list states "Quantity required one" I think they are about 7 thou thick. Maybe you have the option to fit two and reduce your compression by 1/529th Ron

1/4 inch balls you can find in the headstock of a standard pushbike, no marked difference in steering with one ball less.

email (option): vincent@vincentvanginneke.com

Thanks for the sound advice 👍🏻

Kind regards,

Mark

The clutch arm ball bearing isn't 1/4" diameter...and the pushrod didn't have a 1/4" ball bearing anywhere...The pushrod was one piece...

However, people do add a ball bearing to solve the worn pushrod problem rather than fitting a new rod...Ian

Hi. All. My dad told the bike he had at the beginning of the war would only do
40 mph max, he told me the spacer between the carb and the barrel had a smaller hole in it to reduce the intake size, the old GPO Bantams used to have the same.
My dad was a dispatch rider.

email (option): richard.a.yard@btinternet.com

Hi. My M20 had the ball missing from the clutch rod, I just broke up a bearing from an old car cambelt jockey pulley, any small ball bearing should do.
Both ends of my rod were concaved and the contact surfaces are flat but only one end had a ball, adjuster on the clutch arm was screwed almost all the way in until I fitted the ball, now the adjustment is better.

email (option): richard.a.yard@btinternet.com

['any small ball bearing should do..']

Not really the case if you want to do it correctly and make it function as intended....

The bearing in the clutch operating arm is fitted to the arm and then the hole is swaged over slightly to stop it coming out...If you examine a NOS arm you will find the ball it entrapped and won't come out of the arm...

The original ball, from memory is 5/16" diameter...Using a smaller ball means it will not necessarily contact the pushrod correctly as it is not held centrally to the rod, which it is if the correct ball is fitted...

As stated in my last post and to avoid any confusion there is no ball relating to the pushrod other than the one in the operating arm and the one in the clutch pressure plate......

Also, both ends of the push rod should be flat..If it is not the ends are worn...
This may be caused by incorrect setting of the clutch cable free movement,the ends of the pushrod being ''over tempered' during the hardening process or simply through over extended use...

The ends can usually be machined flat and the rod rehardened and tempered if it is not too badly worn...The slight reduction in length can be taken up with the clutch arm adjuster screw...

Alternatively make a new rod of the correct length from 1/4" dia. silver steel rod...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1