Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 - Gearbox (4th Gear Problems)

Hello,

I have a problem with my M20 gearbox. I re-assembled the shafts and pinions in top gear position and tried to insert them into the gearbox housing.

Now the dog clutch on the mainshaft is not meshing with the pinion sleeve. No matter what combinations I use the meshing was never proper.

I fixed the outer cover and I could click all gears except for 4th (I tried changing by rotating the gears like actual operation) but sill couldn’t.

I have attached a pic of the top gear and how it looks through the inspection hole.

photo 20160126_231521_zps8bbhqhgy.jpg

Please advice me on this

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Re: BSA M20 - Gearbox (4th Gear Problems)

Hi Pratap,

Something about your assembly looks wrong.
It looks like all three shafts need to be pushed further into the box.

I say this because the gap between the second gear and it's selector looks about right when in fourth gear. The gap between the third gear and it's selector also looks about right when in fourth, but the selector is too far away to engage in fourth gear.

Does the inner cover bolt up correctly?

How much end float is on the shafts?

Did you set the plunger into the correct groove (for 4th gear) in the selector quadrant as well as assembling the gearbox in 4th. gear?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello,

Looking at the picture - is the selector fork in the correct groove?

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Did you fit the big washer between the mainbearing and the pinion sleeve gear?
Cheers, Michiel

Hi I think I missed the big washer. Will it have considerable effect to the meshing of 4th gear? Also what will be the approx thickness of this washer. Please let me know
Regards
Pratap

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

The missing spacer (1/8" 3.2mm) does't explain why the selector shaft isn't in the correct position.
The reason I ask for the end float is that I think there might be something going on with the selector shaft bush in the inner cover, maybe in the wrong way?

The washer between the main bearing and the sleeve gear is the one Henry missed out...The 1/8" thick spacer is at the other end of the mainshaft...

From memory I would say the washer is only .030" thick approx...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hmm, I misread Michiel' post but I don't think that .030" is going to move that sleeve gear the 3 or 4mm that it needs to engage with the selector.

The washer I have measured is approx 1 mm. So it is a start but will indeed not be enough.

It looks like the selectorshaft can turn just a little more which will also help a little bit.

And maybe the leftside bush which bears the selectorshaft is not pressed fully into the casing....

Good luck, Michiel

Nieuwe pagina 1