Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Introduction

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and thought it would be proper if I briefly introduced myself. My name is Anthony and I am an American now permanently living in Brisbane, Australia. I bought a BSA W20 in 2004 and stored it in my parents' garage until now (as I recently shipped it to Australia). It is frame and engine number WM20 113616 (which I understand is from 1945).

Much to my surprise, it almost cost me as much to ship it to Australia (taxes, customs fees, required steam cleaning etc) then the bike actually cost!

I'm very much a novice, but I love a challenge and am looking forward to trying to return my WSM20 to its former glory. I am currently in the market for a non-Indian made rear stand and speedometer for my bike. If anyone is selling one or comes across a good deal, please pass word on.

I look forward to following this site whilst working on my WM20 (and thank you Henk for your tips and wisdom).

Kind regards,
Anthony

email (option): BagnetteAW@me.com

Re: Introduction

G'day Anthony,
And welcome, speedos and stands do come up occasionally from the usual sources but working speedos are expensive and speedo restorers usually require an exchange so even if you find one that's not working it's best to grab it.

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum! Please do post some pictures of your bike.
Your required parts can be obtained here;

http://www.hunnypot.org.uk/sbm/wm20-breaking.html

Regards,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

is Stuart Bray breaking whole bikes

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hello Anthony.

Welcome to the site, I'm sure that there are lots of forum users that will help you out any way they can, I have sold nearly all my spares, although I do still have some knocking about, unfortunately I do not have speedo or rear stand, however I can boast that I have new solid copper head gaskets at a price that cannot be matched anywhere.
Stuart Bray, who is on the site maybe a good contact for the parts you require but like all these parts now, they are very expensive.

Kind regards TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Hello Anthony
I have sent you a email re the rear stand.

In October the biggest swap meet in Qld , the Gatton swap is held.
There will be a dozen or more there for sale.

Bringing an M20 to Australia is like shipping coals to Newcastle.
We have more of them down here than any where else in th world.
With a number that high and having the same engine & frame number, almost certain that it was a war surplus bike.

The type of person with the parts you are looking for will have a phone that they use for talking to people on, a camera that they take photos with and a computer that they send emails with, so don't bother trolling evilbay, craigs list, gumtree , trading post, or even Just bikes but you will occasionally find some whole bike is the local newspapers classifieds.
You basically have to put in the miles and do a run of the swap meets, which is a good excuse to travel the country and have a look around.
Aussies are a bit more like the Poms than the Yanks we join clubs and form groups and there is a whole second tier market between clubbies, most of who hate dealers, or any one else who makes money from their hobby.

So you will need to tap into this network.
There is a BSA Club in Qld, tht another person on this list has just joined and a Historic Motorcycle club and a Vintage Motorcycle club.
Find the time to pop into each and feel the vibe.
If possible attend a ride or two and join which ever one you feel at home with.
Qld has historic registrations available at a fraction of the regular cost which are done through authorised clubs.

Welcome to Gods gift to motorcycling

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Hi Matty,

Thanks! I did not know that about the speedos (trading in old ones for refurbished ones) so thank you for that tip!

Kind regards,
Anthony

Hi Sven,

Thank you. I'm not quite sure how to post pictures of my bike on this site, but I will when I figure it out!

Cheers,
Anthony

Thanks TTJohn and Trevor,

I would like to get more involved in bike clubs here in the area. Being relatively new to Australia (arrived in 2008) it would be a great way to meet people.

Cheers,
Anthony

G'Day Anthony,

Welcome to the forum and the joys of getting around on an M20! I've just moved to Brisbane myself and am starting the process of investigating the old bike scene here.

Trevor has is spot on there with his assessment of how it works here in Australia. Generally guys in the bike clubs will be more than helpful in providing you with information and sourcing parts, you just have to have a genuine interest, show up and get involved. Usually anything that's on eBay/Gumtree is going to be snapped up and/or overpriced, though I have got a few good things on there now and then. But swap meets, club meets, etc are a better bet to get what you want.

Speedo's unfortunately (I'm on the hunt for one myself) are as rare as hens teeth, and everyone knows what they're worth by now so even at swap meets they're still $$$.

Club wise - There's the Historic Motorcycle Club of QLD which is the all marques motorcycle club, I haven't managed to get to a meeting yet but they're in the Carindale area? It's hard to tell, they don't have when and where they meet on their website, FB page or in the Old Bike club directory. Must be a secret.

Kev (also from the forum) and I did get along to the QLD BSA owners club meeting last month. They meet down near the Gold Coast. Good bunch of people and lots of BSA/M20 knowledge. It's a smaller club than the QLD Historic with ~20-30 regular members, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're going for the concessional registration - you can only ride the bike then on club events, (or for testing purposes near home, etc, the clubs have info) so the more the merrier.

Otherwise, hit me up via email and we can catch up for coffee.

Cheers,

Matt

email (option): matthew.j.croucher@gmail.com

Just been scouring the net for other parts and came across a NOS Speedo............... £500 .Link to the site if you scroll down the list http://www.wardepartment.co.uk/parts-spares/

Dave

Hi Anthony

I am on the Gold Coast which is just down from you.
I met matt at QLD BSA owners club a fue weeks back.
I have got a 1942 wm20 which I am trying to get ready for a roadworthy but keep finding little thins that need fixing.
There is a swap meet in Toowoomba on the 6-7th February which is a big one I think you will find a speedo there, my speedo was not working I took it apart to find the 4 leaf spring had broken which seems to be one of the main reasons these fail have got a new spring comming from the UK.
my brother in law will have a site there I will be going as well.
Kev

email (option): windburner1@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1