Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which colour?

Can anyone tell me what colour RAF issued WD bikes had orginally? I've seen restored ones in green but also in RAF blue.....

email (option): mr.bighealey@hotmail.com

Re: Which colour?

My understanding is that pre war bikes were RAF blue/grey(gloss)and wartime production was drab green/brown of the appropriate shade for the year of manufacture...

Blue bikes were repainted into the later drab colours at overhaul or before if deemed necessary...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian,

That clarifies it a bit....Do you know what the appropriate shade green/brown is for 1943? Is there a colour code or RAL code for this?

Maarten

I'm not an expert on the exact dates colours were introduced/superceded...

Early war machines were 'Khaki Gas Proof No.3'..a browny green colour.

Mid war machines were 'Dark Camouflage Brown'...I'm not sure how much this was used though, there seem to be few original machines bearing the remains of that colour..

Late war machines were painted 'British Dark Olive Drab'....

The last two colours are available from military paint suppliers...I'm unsure about the KGP No3...I did hear it is now being produced....

Sorry to be a bit vague but I use KGP N03 which I mix myself, so I don't have any paint codes etc... Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Maarten, there is some colour scheme information near the back of "British Forces Motorcycles" Pages 174-177 in the revised edition. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

There is much more information on http://wdnorton.nl/Colours.html

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Thanks for the tips...

While sanding the fuel tank I came across this handpainted text...I guess I now know the name of this particular Ariel W/NG

email (option): maartenengels@hotmail.com

That's nice ! :-) I wonder what nationality she was ?

Annette....with double "n" and double "t"....probably French...

Nieuwe pagina 1