The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1939 BSA M20

WDM20 Ex pride & Clarke on ebay 262252256534

Re: 1939 BSA M20

MMM matching engine and frame numbers apparantely.
Would be good if it stays around that price.

I'm not criticising it as a project. But he's advertised it as 1939 with matching numbers. When in fact, it looks like 1943 with non matching numbers to me. He doesn't show a V5 registration document, but quotes a value for the reg number, which won't be the case unless it was registered with a V5 before 1983. Of course the original number might be re-claimable and a new V5C issued, but the number will then be non transferable. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It's not on the Swansea record so if it has a V5 it must be a pre sorn V5...

It does have a reflective number plate which indicates it was on the road after 1972 so it must have had a V5 at some point....

I note its date of first registration in the old book is 1961 and these old books don't show a date of manufacture...

So, whether there is or isn't a V5 it may not be MOT exempt...My M20 had a V5 but date of manufacture and date of registration were both entered as the same in 1968 when it was demobbed...

The bike itself is pretty corroded in some places, notably the rear mudguard is probably scrap...It also has the usual selection of missing/incorrect/post war parts...

IMO it needs to be a reasonable price at point of sale as a full restoration will be expensive and too high a price could easily push the total past what the finished article is worth...

However, knowing how people regularly underestimate the full cost of a rebuild I'd bet it will go for too much...

As Ron points out, it definitely isn't 1939 either!...Hopefully if the stories of sidecar usage are true the buyer won't find himself with a bent frame into the bargain as well...A distinct possibility...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I just noticed the numbers don't match in the green logbook. Frame is 85437 and engine 82223. I suppose he means the numbers in the logbook are the same as on the bike.

There's another WM20 project on carandclassic uk website,its in better condition but has an ohv engine fitted,its in Devon and is entered in shepton auction on 7th February.

..I love some of the 'estimates' for that auction..Many of the project bikes have estimates lower than the value of the engine, or in some cases half the engine.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes the £1000-1500 estimate does seem low for a nearly complete bike,with most of its military parts present,last on the road 1974 no paperwork though.

Its back on ebay 311588332197 not 1939 but 1942.

Nieuwe pagina 1