Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Importing from Europe

I am seeking information on costs, procedure etc for importing an WM M20 1941 from Italy - no papers, non runner. Any info welcomed.

Chris Roberts

email (option): cskroberts@btinternet.com

Re: Importing from Europe

There is a lot of suspicion with most European licensing authorities relating to vehicles from Italy. This has arisen as a result of the Italian system of 'premiums' to remove polluting vehicles from the road. Unfortunately, there have been suggestions that this involves returning the paperwork with few checks on whether the vehicle is actually scrapped - which is OK until the Italian offices confirm this when asked. It then becomes illegal to re-register it anywhere in Europe. Many Italian sellers have surrendered old documents for cash before trying to sell vehicles abroad.

If it were me, I'd want decent untampered numbers and would import it personally as spare parts and then simply start up a barn find age-related application in the UK.

If you're relying on having it shipped, with transit documentation and customs papers than the Italian origin will have them double checking...

Rik,

many thanks for that information. I have a friend who can pick the bike up for me en route from Malta. We have discussed pulling apart and putting in a few boxes to fit it in the van, it sounds like that is what you are suggesting. The owner has simply offered me a private document of origin - not really of any value in my view? The numbers are mis-matched (as expected) but I don't believe tampered with. Understood re barn find registration, do we therefore simply declare spare parts if and when asked at border control?

I have bought several WW2 bikes back from Europe. I just put them in the van and come home. It you take a British licence plate with yOu and fix it to the bike they will never know even if they open the van and look at it. Also when you come to register it simply say it was a barn find or your Grandfathers bike that you have restored. Do not mention you bought it back from Italy. JT

Hi Chris,
I think its the same seller were i have the info from.
Bud the frame is 1942 and the engine is not WM stamped!
So have a good look on it before buying it!
Regards
Bram

Many thanks for comments, all well noted.

Nieuwe pagina 1