Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My project

Thought some of you may be interested to see current progress on my '58 M21 project. I bought this in large lumps late in 2014 as seen in the first photo (Bandit and wheelbarrow not included!) the seller told me it was all there and included a spare engine. It's probably fairer to say the it was mostly all there and once I got it home discovered the front wheel was the incorrect 7" type, it was missing a gear-lever, and the carb is the wrong one for the year. Overall though I'm not complaining: it's on its original reg and I have the correct engine and frame numbers - buyer beware!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
First decision to make was whether keep all the original patina or to go for something newer looking. In the end I decided to go for a powder coat finish on frame and tin wear, I've done this before on a Bantam and quite like the shiny finish that still retains all the battle scars (scratches and dents) that remain after sandblasting and powder coating. New chrome rims were a must as I couldn't source a complete 8" half width hub front wheel and had to settle for a hub only - original rear rim (very rusty) plus new front rim just wouldn't have looked right.

I'm at that stage in the project where I've got half a dozen jobs in progress but small snags hold them up: rear wheel can't go on because I need to run taillight wiring first, front wheel can't go on because I'm waiting for relined shoes, tank can't go on as I don't know of a reasonably priced and trustworthy plater (any recommendations?), gearbox (rebuilt) can't go on as I'm waiting for some gearbox mounting bits, the rear brake cam lever is a proper headache but hopefully that gets sorted soon.
Next up on the bench will be the original engine (I'll hang on to the spare for now) and I've got some decent quality mains bearings from Ian to fit plus the crank is going to Dave Plumb for professional inspection and repair.

Im really enjoying this project and I'm finding the help on this forum invaluable, I know it's not a WD bike but I'm already thinking about a WD3GL when I get this done so please bear with me

Gary.

email (option): gj.owen@hotmail.co.uk

Re: My project

Keep at it Gary...I quite like the look of the plunger models myself..and also the fact they are just down to earth working bikes...

I've covered a lot of miles on them over the years...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1