Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
early WDG3L find

hi and happy new year to every one.
ive just collected a G3L with frame number 24640 which seems to be an early bike, the original engine and gearbox are not there as been fitted with later items.
theres a brass plate on the inside of the toolbox, there also seems to be its post war reg number, 33 ZC 75 looks like a 2 under the 7. there are makings on the fuel tank and it also seem that the front forks were painted black/white,
il post some pics of the bike when light and hears a pic of the brass plate if any one could help with info.

thanks, barry

photo g3l plate 020.jpg

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Re: early WDG3L find

got a couple of pics of the bike, there was also a marking on top of the fuel tank but theres no way of telling what it was. it also has very thin fork yokes but no ribs on the top one.
thanks, barry

photo early G3L 007.jpg

photo early G3L 008.jpg

photo early G3L 009.jpg

Cobbled together for a sale with any old engine and gearbox,still, its a start

hi ken, the bike wasant intended for sale, the chap i got the bike off told me it had a later (wrong) engine/gearbox, as he fitted it about 8 years ago, in an attempt to build a trials bike, the previous owner before him started to strip the bike for a re build and later past away, shame the engine and box wasnt found. it was because i was offering a ready made trials bike that i managed to get a deal, so it worked out well for me and plus another bike saved from rusting away. i do have a later 41 engine and box for it anyway.

thanks, barry

Post war RASC markings isn't it?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Was struck off the force at Ruddington on 16-03-1961 and the C number was C943681, that does not tally with the frame No.! not much more info.

Cheers,

Lex

ps, is the rear frame an early one?

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net

hi lex thanks, yes it has the early rear frame, front frame number W41/G3L/F1. did you find the info through the post war number? there seems to be a 2 under 7, so could be 33 ZC 25?
hi ian, I done a search and seems to be RASC but not sure about the 70.

thanks, barry

Barry, yes found it through the postwar military reg. number, but the frame number is as on your plate, (chassis Number 24640) what you state is a casting number....

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net

i dont know why i put the frame part number.

barry

Blue / yellow is indeed post-war RASC.

Clive Elliot has done a lot of research on this.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7897-Post-War-British-Army-Markings

Looking at 1959, the Arm of Service serial '70' would indicate an Infantry Division Transport Company (TA) but we have the usual post-1941 motorcycle conundrum - After the discontinuation of the formation sign on bikes, there is nothing to indicate which Division...

As far as I can tell from these lists, divisional transport seems to have been a TA function during this period.

My G3L has a near identical brass plate also inside the toolbox.
Mine was 33 ZC 80 (I think, I'll check) and also served with the RASC post war.
Like yours Barry some insignia was found on the fuel tank.

Will post some pictures.

hi scott. it seems they were possibly overhauld at the same time and place.

barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Barry,
Yes looks that way, mine left at Ruddington like yours I think 1963 a few years later.

Nieuwe pagina 1