but no v5

sorry its in mod colours so guessing its a war bike

its in a bit of a state but complete mainly

i have not managed to get the frame / engine no off it yet

just of some guidance before proceeding

cheers

email (option): andyblackie1@btinternet.com

Re: barn find with no plate but no v5

In the latest Roadholder magazine (Norton Owners Club UK)there was a run through on the latest "interpretation" from DVLA and the NOC conclusion was that until the latest idiocy (my word) was worked through to be wary of anything without a verifiable history if you want to get it street legal in original trim. The history needs to include the frame number so old rego labels no longer fit the bill.
There was also concern that bikes such as our wartime ones which had their engines/frames etc mixed and matched in service would not be accepted as historic vehicles as they are not in ex factory condition due to non matching numbers.
NOC and others are trying to help sense to prevail but there was frustration that repeatedly advice was sought and then ignored.
I guess in your case if you have a No Plate and that can be related to the frame number then it shouldn't be such an issue.

I don't think an engine change is a problem..ie..an M20 engine replaced with another M20 engine..

That has always been permitted to replace a damaged unit and as long as you register the number change that's OK..

My reading of it is that the problem will occur if you were to build a Triton for example, where you put a Triumph engine into the 'wrong' Norton frame..or perhaps an A10 engine into a pre war frame which it wasn't originally fitted to...

The essence of the new system as I see it is that you must have more than just a frame with a number to give a machine a particular identity...It will have to have a far higher content of matching parts. Just how much more and what parts is not yet resolved...

Regarding using an old tax disc as a means of recovering the number, under the current system that is still possible as far as I know...Though it won't be under the new system when it is introduced...

Old MOT certificates will only be acceptable if they show the frame number as well I believe..

I think they might have to spend a while sorting all the anomalies out and getting the terminology right...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I think you'll find old tax discs are no longer accepted. This was an anomaly in the old system as tax discs do not carry any information that can positively identify the machine in question, the disc only has the registration number and make which of course are too vague (or can be "adjusted"!) to definitively identify the machine.
REgards, Mark

Just registered my Tribsa no problem its registered as a 58 BSA Super rocket, I had a dating cerificate from BSAOC stating 1958 frame and fitted with a Triumph engine from same period. Bike has around 85% period parts fitted, Had to get a Nova declaration as the dating certificate stated Bike was originally exported to USA... Dave

Have listened to Ron and Ian and actually talked to DVLA just before Xmas got in way, about registering a 70's B25 - I have the green log book and the 3HW.
I intend to register the 3HW and the B25 over the next few weeks.

DVLA advised me that getting an age-related number would be MUCH easier than trying to reclaim the number on the log book - so this is the line i am taking.

The B25 will be going for a simple 'day time' MOT (sod all required really v- truly surprised how little is required when i did my KDX last year) taken in the trailer so no insurance needed untill much nearer the 'event'.
The 3HW will be 'self-certified' so no problems there.

As i have the log-book for the B25 i will try and use this as dating evidence (as advised by DVLA), the 3HW is another matter and i'm looking at alternatives tomorrow.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

There is plenty of information on the DVLA website. In the case of a machine that has been in one piece since the 1950s, there shouldn't be a problem unless the numbers have been 'got-at'

It would be a good idea to photograph it throughly before cleaning or dismantling. Don't wait until it has been restored and don't say that you have 'rebuilt' it it as this does not translate well into modern-day South Wales patois.

Update
- mot done, no reflector is needed if no lights are fitted.

Because it has a single seat and no pillion rests - i do not need a chain-guard (though this requirement is unclear in the 'book').

Will start on forms tomorrow, i am making no attempt to recover the original number (as advised by DVLA) but will get an age related number instead.
I'm hoping to use my original green log-book for dating evidence ?

I will need insurance as you also need to 'pay' for road tax when you register the bike (?) - talked to my insurance company and they do not offer a '10 day' insurance for this process - some do so worth asking.
So will transfer to Cuz 'ownership' placing it temporarily on his trader's policy to obtain road-tax.

Will keep you all informed.

Correction ....... MOT not done!!!!!!!

Went to collect MOT paperwork from MOT'er (slow computer - come back after lunch ... he said) - cannot print MOT paperwork!

So went through entire process again - with me on the computer as he had forgotten his glasses (he really should retire) - so how the hell are you supposed to proceed with an mot nowadays when there is no registaration number ???
(remember - DVLA recommended me to re-register instead of try and recover old number)

So fudged VIN and registration number until it accepted it, then could not find how to make it a 'daytime' MOT ??
Finally, got past that stage and .............................. nothing?

No idea if the MOT had been accepted?

So across town to see other 'pet' MOT'er who dosnt go white when i ask for a daytime MOT.
Started - smootly past the VIN/Registration number part - and ....... its been MOT'ed ?
So he cannot proceed or even print off the paperwork !

Back to first MOT'er who has now gone home - F**!!###@@" - explained situation, had he managed to print off paper work - no, though he had tried all afternoon !

So no real idea if its MOT'ed or not, with/without lights (?) or what registartion number ?

What the hell is happening, seems everything was 'working' relatively smoothly until three months ago ?

I've registered at least a dozen bikes and all were MOT'd on their frame number. Of course a lot were done before computers were brought into the equation! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

My cuz MOT'e his B50 in Nov with the same guy - what has happened since is that the DVLA 'made' him go over to Windows10 and the website seems to be a BETA (development) site - which has completely baffled him (and me!).

No training has been provided, is expected or offered - there's not even a Q&A facility ?

Will start again Monday, a mate has just arrived on his Fucati - he wants me to chip/re-program the damn thing, luckily hes staying the weekend ...........

At least registering the 3HW should be more straight forward with a self-certified MOT ????

Just talked with an MOT'er who was amused with my experience !

Seems the solution is not to be talked into going Windows10 ....

Nieuwe pagina 1