Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Handlebar Mirrors

Hi all

Am getting very close to getting the BSA on the road now.

I was looking at getting some mirrors to put on it, mainly for safety reasons when just having a leisurely ride and then fairly easily removable for shows etc.

Looking ebay I can see the ones that go in the handlebar ends and some ones with just threads. I was thinking one with a standard clamp onto the handlebars would be best but thought i'd ask to see what other people use and find the best.

Many thanks!

email (option): martynhillyard@msn.com

Re: Handlebar Mirrors

What are mirrors?

It doesn't really matter what's happening behind you, there's very little you can do about it.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

And your head turns on its mounting.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Maybe i'll retain my dignity and not fit any

email (option): martynhillyard@msn.com

You do see them fitted on motorcycles in war time photo's

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Mine vibrates so much I wouldn't be able to see anything.....

email (option): Johnsonsteve386@gmail.com

Henk Joore
You do see them fitted on motorcycles in war time photo's

Henk

I think I've only seen it once? Canadian from memory. I'd like to see more Henk please.
Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Rob Miller
What are mirrors?

It doesn't really matter what's happening behind you, there's very little you can do about it.

Rob

Well that depends on a few things like do you ride socially in groups where each rder looks out for the person behind and the biggie do you enjoy livig will all your appendges intact ?

Back when we wer young and the mounting for the eyebals was thin, well lubricated and in good working order we could not only look behind, but actually identify what was there and where they were.
Next, back in the day our M20's accelerated fairly close to the rest of the traffic.
Now you can easily get some git in a moderately avarage tin top 500 yards back, put the pedal to the metal and be passing you in less than 1 second, just at the same time you are , Swinging out to get a better line on a corner , just as you are about to overtake a nice big truc or just as you are about to make that right hand turn.

Even worse ar the modern motorcyclists who think nothing of overtaking a line of 30 bikes in a single pass on a windy road.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I ride without a mirror on the 16H. I find them useful at motorway speeds on faster bikes due to the distance travelled whilst carrying out a rear obs. but find this less so on a slow bike. Regardless of mirror fitment, I can't shake off the 'lifesafer' over the shoulder habit that was drummed into me (I often do it in a car too).

In general, on the 16H I ride as if there is an idiot on my tail (this is Belgium so there usually is)...nine out of ten he's driving an Audi.

I'm only happy riding in a group if I trust the chap behind to miss me whatever I do. Experienced riders should slot in with each other and always allow space...there were one or two in Normandy last year (and Dunkirk this year) who don't and I avoid 'em like the plague.

Regardless, it's up to the individual what they feel comfortable with and I can understand that most younger riders will feel more comfortable with them.

I have never seen any evidence for the official provision and fitment of mirrors on WD motorcycles. In view of this, I'm pretty sure that no British Army R.S.M. would've allowed it...but the Canadians (and particularly their provost units) do seem to have fitted them in the Netherlands towards the end of the war. This is likely to have been in the areas already liberated and relatively safe.

Gnerally they seem to be clamped to handlebars and not surprisingly pinched from something else...A rear view mirror of the CMP / Carrier / Jeep variety could be justified for a machine portraying this fairly narrow time / place

It's Christmas so here's a Christmas Tree !

photo A C9999999 Canadian 1944_zpslbmbeecj.jpg

photo B with mirror_zpsbb9utyrc.jpg

For what it's worth I have mirrors on all of my bikes. I can't turn round as I used to and my ability to see what the idiots in the tin boxes are up to is more important then what the rivet counters think.

I recall reading an article about D/Rs pinching mirrors off of Bren carriers but I have never seen proof of that until now. If you look at the large photo, the mirror on the bike is off of a Bren carrier. I have heard a story of a guy in Argentina with a box of NOS mirrors. I always ride with mirrors.
Happy Winter Solstice. Only 4 mths left of winter.

Cheers, Steven in Ottawa

email (option): goodbell@ripnet.com

There is another picture in Clive M Laws book "The Canadian Military Motorcycle", page 136, its an M20 and the mirror appears to be fitted near to the left side headlamp bolt.

I think the mirror in Rik's first picture was used on lots of Canadian vehicles not just carriers.

And I have seen small versions of the rectangular convex WD mirror at auto jumbles, but I'm not sure what they were originally for?

There are quite a few pictures of round mirrors on Harleys, it could be that it was a legal requirement in Canada whilst they were in training and some Canadians got used to the idea?

I don't think a mirror is a legal requirement here in the UK, but it may be in some countries? but fit one if you want to.

Rob

So far we have evidence of field fitting of a mirror on three bikes (all Canadian). I almost forgot that I have a mirror on my Indian 741 Military Scout which is a genuine Indian mirror and came to me in Olive Drab.

I also have this picture of 741's with the RAF and several have mirrors fitted. I've also noticed that the left side of the tanks are shiny and with a 'Roundel' attached.
As this is very late or even just post war, I wonder if these shiny parts are RAF blue?

Rob, I haven't got that book. Would you know if it's more or less the same pictures as in 'The Winged Wheel Patch'?......Before I hunt out and invest in a copy!

Ron

photo scan-151231-0001_zpsbxr19yox.jpg

Hi Ron

I can't see the picture in question in "The Winged Wheel Patch".

Clive's book is well worth getting, with lots of pictures of Big4s. I have sent you an email.

Rob

Hi Ron,

Looks like Rob beat me to it. I don't know the books myself, but you can get the Canadian Military Motorcycle from Clive's website. I have bought a few books form him in the past. Great service, think that I might buy the book myself, it's on sale
http://servicepub.com/ go to general titles
Happy New Year,
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Cheers guys. I've ordered a demonstration copy from a UK book shop that Rob linked me to...To save on Transatlantic shipping costs. Ron

And here is a picture of an M20 that Henk sent me. He has a standard vehicle mirror fitted to a flag pole. Don't know what the flag is for. The scene appears to be a storage depot in an orchard? It looks definitely continental to me, and the mirror is fitted on the left side. Ron

photo C5123718._zpssfndxtyp.jpg

That's the same bike and rider as in the picture that I mentioned above, but from a different angle.

The caption says "taken in Groningen, the Netherlands".

Rob

OK Rob. Henk sent me the other picture too. Ron

Here is yet another one that Arnaud sent me. A Triumph 3HW again with a vehicle mirror.

If I was going to fit a mirror to one of my WD bikes, I'd find one of these type mirrors.

As far as I'm concerned, just one original picture of a feature is enough to give me 'carte Blanche' on artistic licence.

Ron

photo scan-160101-0001_zpstssmvbwu.jpg

Could be in Groningen, but I think this is in the beginning of May '45, when convoys with food were organized from the already liberated parts of the country, to Utrecht and Amsterdam. The DR with a white flag is typical for that period, when there were still trigger-happy German soldiers around.

Thanks for that Hans. That makes sense about the flag.

Will be at Ettreham in June if you fancy a small holiday. You could even bring one of your wives Ron

Thanks Ron, but no more France for me...
The moment is not far away that I will become a danger on the road on four wheels, let alone on two...
But in spirit I'll be with you and the others, and don't forget to go and visit that chapel at Fresney-le-Puceux; and for the Dutch, April 10 we'll be at the Holten cemetery.

Sorry to hear that Hans.

I don't know if you heard? But we did visit the chapel last June (Lex and all) and I'm very pleased to report that it's exactly as you left it. Will probably make a pilgrimage again this year. I Should be able to get there without mistake this time

There is always someone (especially on a 16H) who wants to re-enact that pose in the memory of Don Fife.

Ron

photo Capture_2_zpso1lk2oca.jpg

Hans WDM20 58764
Could be in Groningen, but I think this is in the beginning of May '45, when convoys with food were organized from the already liberated parts of the country, to Utrecht and Amsterdam. The DR with a white flag is typical for that period, when there were still trigger-happy German soldiers around.

It would not surprise me if those are supplies for the starving Dutch population at the time, the white flag on vehicles supposedly denoted high priority traffic and you see these on "humanitarian aid" convoys in Holland.

I see the mirror in Ron's picture with the flag, is fitted to the headlamp bolt, that's a different place to mount it.

Here's a picture of us at the shrine lats year.

photo IMG_4934_zpsc3uiobff.jpg

And time for a drink and a snack too

photo IMG_4942_zpsuybcrsib.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Here is that bike with flag from the other angle.

You can read 'Pea Soup' on one of the crates.....Specially imported from London.

Ron

photo C5123718_zpsa5ylj1ti.jpg

Yes one would imagine a nice highly reflective mirror would not be an advantage in field use.
If it is any help, the WD B40's we bought directly from army stores all had a single right mirror , hand painted drab with the exception of the MP's bikes which wore two chromed ones.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I've got an old army round mirror on my WD M20. using it in London you really have to have a mirror and it fits the bill.

By the way the long piece of metal under the white flag isn't that one of those devices that people rigged up so that they couldn't be ambushed with wire across the road taking them or their head off? I've seen photos of those I think at the Imperial War Museum that this reminds me of. all best everyone and Happy New Year and keep up the great work

I have a mirror mounted on the end of the bar...I personally find it more useful than 30 years ago now there's more traffic on the road...

Often people have fitted their field-stand in the wrong location, here a war time paper about how to fit it properly.

Hello Field-stand fitting instructions,

Thanks for the fitting manual, I assume you posted it because of the photo published in my last post. Mine is installed correctly, there are two types of field stands, long and short ones....Originally it would have been secured a bit more horizontally as can be seen in official photograph below from the Orchard and Madden book "British Forces Motorcycles"...

The result of placing a short field stand in the way suggested, it would not function, because the motorcycle would stand in a 45 degree angle ;-).....and then again, I'm not seeking for absolute originality as I'm guessing that they were only once original when they were delivered from the factory to the end-user, after that they were altered in many different ways anyways judging from the many wartime images....another big no-no is the fitting of a Thorspark electronic ignition on both the BSA and the Matchless... ;-)

More information about this can be found halfway the page of this link:

http://www.wdbsa.nl/facts.htm

Hi Maarten,

From what I see in your photo you have a long field-stand. Your field-stand seems to have a disc with a cut off section and those are the long stands and these are fitted as in the paper posted.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Henk,

As stated in my previous post, if placed as said in fitting manual (which I did initially) the stand only reach the ground when the bike is at a 45 degree angle... As it is a repro stand from India, it is of course possible that they placed a disc with a cutoff on a short tube.... I rather have it functional than fully "original" look.... I think I can make a lot of comments on my bike in regard of "originality"...but I didn't asked to be commented on the originality of my bike, I only post a comment regarding a "mirror on the handlebar" as it was the original question of this post...furthermore, I like my bike as it is and I own it, in the end that's what counts...😁

This is how it looks now....(btw. the helmet and coat are original..!)

Quite right Maarten! You can do exactly as you please with your bike, you are not in the army or under orders from anyone. But I don't think anyone was criticising your bike, just pointing out some features that you might not have known.

My own bike is an early one with the lug like yours, but since It has panniers fitted now, I fitted one of the long stands under the saddle Ron

hi Ron,

Quote: "Not under orders from anyone..." you should meet my wife

In any case...short or long...as long as it does the job...

Can't argue with any of that Maarten Ron

Greetings Rone - on the link you will find a photo - although it is not BSA but Triumph but the mirror has - the rod is Jeep and mirror Desmo type 36 - photo: "Borderlands": Czechoslovak border - combined Section of the Czechoslovak Armored Brigade http://www.vhu.cz/alois-evzen-sitek/

email (option): chalupnym@centrum.cz

Thanks Michal. Here is the picture. Ron
S-tek-03

I am surprised over your neck of the woods a rear view mirror is not compulsory. In Australia, I think pre 1975 bike one mirror on RHS is mandatory, two must be fitted after 1975 bike, otherwise no licence. Of course if you live in a left drive country one mirror would be LHS.
I fitted a round mirror (chrome) and etch primed it and painted it flat drab enamel same as bike.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Old thread but with old bikes they all stay relevant don't they? I ride in a busy urban environment and I depend on using a mirror for situational awareness on my other bikes so I fitted a clamp on style reproduction Harley WWII style mirror. It's easily removed if I'm concerned about my PC (period correctness).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Military-WLA-Mirror-Parkerized-with-USA-Mirror-Head/113754056937

email (option): moatjon [ at ] aol.com

That's a nice period looking mirror and easy enough to make adaptions to if a particular mount is preferred....Ian:relaxed:

Kim NALDER
I am surprised over your neck of the woods a rear view mirror is not compulsory. In Australia, I think pre 1975 bike one mirror on RHS is mandatory, two must be fitted after 1975 bike, otherwise no licence. Of course if you live in a left drive country one mirror would be LHS.
I fitted a round mirror (chrome) and etch primed it and painted it flat drab enamel same as bike.
Kim
In South Australia I think we must have two mirrors, though you do see old bikes with just one.
I hate the look of mirrors waving & vibrating in the breeze but on a slowish bike like an M20 one needs to know what's coming up behind.
I have two smallish handlebar end mirrors.

I really hate the thought of clamping a mirror to any of my WD handlebars, (and I would need several!) but as I get older and neck muscles not as flexible as they were, I thought I'd give this a go for the sake of a Tenner (even cheaper if ordered from China or Honk Kong, but longer delivery time)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193409649425

I'll report back if it's a reasonable success or in the bin!

Ron

Blimey Ron, pour yourself a whisky wearing that and you could be seeing double before you start !:face_with_rolling_eyes:

A novel approach Ron...There used to be a helmet mounted mirror on the market as well, I don't know if that's still around....

I suppose these days you could have a handle bar mounted screen and a rearward facing camera...:laughing: That might come one day on new bikes!

I don't like mirrors too much from an aesthetic stand point on old bikes and have never fitted them...Though I've had them on both my T140 Triumphs (one of which I bought new), a couple of Jap bikes I've owned, the Sportster and currently on Ghandi, my Indian Enfield hack bike..I've always remove one of the pair though...

Generally I don't feel that I have to have one, just relying on looking around when I feel I need to. I'm very happy they are not a compulsory fitment....Ian

I've got this little oval brass mirror on my Indian Special and got to admit, it's a joy to have!! Especially as I often end up as the only one of our group who seems to know the way, so get designated "Tour Leader" and constantly trying to ascertain that everyone is still behind me.
20180506-113658

As soon as I get back onto a WD bike I constantly start looking at the mirror that's not there.
There is another type that I wouldn't mind trying. But so far only found them from US sellers with ridiculous postage costs.
rearview-hand-mirror-20037

I'm quite liking the idea of wearing a mirror. I've only got mirrors on my Harley and that went from 2, to 1 and back to 2 when I rode to France. No mirrors on any other bike and usually that's not a problem, but any time I go on a bypass or motorway they're needed. I rode my Commando from the South coast to Gloucester on the M5, and wearing an open face helmet and sun glasses wasn't good for looking behind. The glasses nearly flew off a few times. Luckily Wendy was following me in the camper van and we had a system where she pulled out into the fast lane so I could see it was clear to over take without fast cars wiping me out. I've actually been thinking of fitting a mirror.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I wouldn't be without one on the Commando...Overtaking at motorway speeds requires lots of prior observation...On the 16H, I don't miss one, any more than I do on the pedal cycle (although the ears help there too). Overtaking is rare, I hold well back and plan my turns and positioning well in advance. Positioning for visibility and asserting one's position on the road remain good roadcraft, regardless of what the idiot behind is doing.

Keeping a group together would be a factor, but that's not a safety issue.

Hi Ron,
thanks for the link to the wrist mirror - and what a brilliant idea. I've just ordered one. Will also be usual when I'm out with youngest son on the mountain bikes! :smiley:

Nieuwe pagina 1