Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 oil tell tale blanking plug...

I'm considering getting a small batch of the oil tell tale blanking plugs made in stainless steel...

Is anyone interested in this part?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: M20 oil tell tale blanking plug...

Hi Ian
You could certainly put my name on one please
Thanks
Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

If I buy one plug, what can I do with it?
I don't have the oil tell tale.

It is the blanking plug for when you don't have the tell tale. The tapped hole was carried on till sometime post war with the blanking plug fitted. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

As Ron says, post war replacement crankcases don't have the machining done for the blanking plug...

I think that would apply to any crankcases supplied as spares after the 1947 models, when production of girder fork M20s ended.

From that point onwards the crankcases were modified to move the crankcase breather and earlier type crankcases were then only supplied for WD use or as replacement spares for 46/47 civvy bikes...

A bit of a give away to the serious M20 rivet counter when looking at a machine presented to wartime specifications...

I bought a new set of post war crankcases and remachined them to turn them back into a wartime specification (The lack of the tapped hole was the only difference I have noticed)...Ian

Hi Ian

I give in and show my ignorance again!

Where would the blanked hole be if I had one?

Regards

Pat

ps I hope it wasn't just me thinking this

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Pat if you kneel down and look under the bottom of the timing cover, you will see the slotted mushroom head plug. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

At the top of the oil pump 'bulge'....

It won't be machined if you have a 1948 or later bike unless it has an earlier engine fitted...

Also it won't have it if you have post 1948 replacement crankcases in a WD bike..

However, you can still see where it would be as the casting still has a place for it to be machine..

Never mind all that anyway...Does anyone want a stainless steel one?. ..Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1